All is Quiet

Nature always provides us with the most beautiful scenes right after a snow fall, where the land and trees seem to shine and has that pristine look.

Donna Klarenbach (photographer of pmp) took a photo of a snowmobile trail that reminded me of where I grew up in Upstate New York.  I made a few changes in the final composition for my painting,  none-the-less the inspiration that I felt when I first saw her photo remains and hopefully comes across in this winterscape.

Happy New Years everyone!  Mary

All is Quiet

All is Quiet

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to All is Quiet

1. avocetarts says:

Crazy awesome colors!

2. dearferrero says:

Happy New Year, Mary! Keep up the good work.

3. exiledprospero says:

Lovely winter sky, Mary.

Have you ever considered showing the photograph and the finished painting? It would be interesting to see them side by side.

Hi Ariel’s Prospero – thank you, I appreciate it!

For certain photographs (those from pmp and wetcanvas) under terms of membership I’m not allowed to showcase the photograph, only my painting. I won’t be able to show the image I initially worked from to paint All is Quiet.

This particular painting was inspired by an image from pmp, with the final piece being quite different. I cropped a small section of the photograph to work from, changed the hue and intensity throughout, changed the snow patterns and took away tree twigs, but added the shrubs in the foreground.

It was a great inspiration. Down the road if there is a photograph that I can post publicly w/a final painting I’ll try to remember to do that. I’m glad you asked – I like your sense of curiosity. Thanks so much ~ Mary

• exiledprospero says:

Oh, it’s just my analytical mind (there to drive most people crazy).

But since the final painting can be so different from the original photograph, could you not take your own photos (even with a point-and-shoot) and take it from there? Things would be totally under your control then.

I like analytical minds. I came up with a better idea. Your photography is wonderful, truly so why not go to pmp and sign up as a new member http://paintmyphoto.ning.com/. This is place where photographers post their photographs for painters to paint, which is where I get so many of the wonderful images I use for some of my paintings. This way, not only can you show off many of your images, see others and meet some fantastic photographers from all over the world, but you can then see the ones I have used as inspiration for my paintings that have been posted.

If you go onto the link I have provided you’ll notice to the right a place where you can sign up, it’s a fairly simple process. Hope you do this, would love to see your images posted. The members are fantastic group of people. Let me know what you think!!! Mary

• exiledprospero says:

Thanks for the link, Mary. I’ll have a look at it this week.

I hope you do Ariel’s Prospero, your beautiful photography would be so appreciated by the members.

Let me know if you have any questions on working the system, it’s pretty easy once you get started.

4. Maxima says:

In this festive evening sleigh let you bring the best wishes of happiness :joy, love and happiness.May happiness and blessings to you and forever stop by and follow .HAPPY NEW YEAR

Thank you so much Maxima! I thought I was following, so sorry – I deleted all my follows and had to re-follow all the blogs when wordpress had issues. I wish you the best for peace, happiness and major success with your writings! Mary

5. I love the colors and how it glows!!!! Happy New Year!

6. Lovely! Happy New Year Mary!

7. meiro says:

Happy New Year Mary, hopefully in the coming years you and your family be happier and be more successful.

Best wishes,