Sunset, Fading Elegance

Second in my sunset series. This particular piece is all about capturing the quiet elegance of fading color as the sun slowly descends below the distance hills with its colorful beams of light streaming across the bay of still water.

If you read my earlier post, this painting was screaming at me – seriously!  I had no intention of including clouds, there was to be a limited land mass and three boats, but no matter what direction I had in mind, this painting had a mind of its own.  The lonely sky was begging for clouds, thus a color bank of clouds settled in across the sky, distant hills emerged, pathways gave way in the foreground land and the boats, well they never made it past the first layer of paint.  As I said, the painting moved to its own beat.

A photograph of beautiful clouds bathed in the suns golden rays became my inspiration for a “new” beginning with this piece.

Hope you enjoy all the golden rays in your life ~ Mary

Fading Elegance

Fading Elegance

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Sunset, Fading Elegance

1. This is so beautiful Mary ! You’re a wonderful painter.

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment and compliment, I truly appreciate hearing from you. It means a lot to receive such feedback.

I’m glad I was looking through spam a few minutes ago, because I would have missed this message as well as several others from you. Wonder why they ended up in spam – I won’t make the mistake of clearing out spam again before I read through all the messages.

• You’re not the first. When I upgraded the theme on my blog my comments have been ending up in spam boxes. Don’t know how to fix it. Hopefully now that you’ve unspammed one comment, the rest will follow correctly.

Your message came in as spam again – wonder what the problem is. You probably thought I never answer comments – maybe someone at WP can help out and test it from their end.

2. Yahobahne says:

Absolutely beautiful. The voice of your paint-artwork speaking to you is simply magnificent, one of a kind. Thank you for sharing your gift and talent.

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments, they were very kind and I really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for visiting and I look forward to spending time on your blog. Thanks again, Mary

3. Petronette says:

Beautiful painting Mary !
    Great depth and love the sun in the water.

Hi Petronette, thank you so much. Very nice to hear from you. Appreciate your assessment, the sun reflections were a lot of fun to work with. Take care, Mary

4. exiledprospero says:

The sempiternal sunset, awash with evanescent glow and afterglow… and how beautifully, Mary, you recreate the bifurcating reflection in the water.

Thank you so much for the colorful thoughts and kind words Ariel’s Prospero! You must witness beautiful sunsets most days on the island that would act as glittering diamonds to an artists canvas.

5. It truly captures the way you described it, stunning!

6. Anonymous says:

Mary, you outdid yourself on this. I think this has to be one of your best. Just wonderful…Bob

7. Healthy A-Z says:

Oh, wow!! I’m glad you were listening to this painting. It had a beautiful image to reveal to us. Really special!