Dream, Oil Pastel Painting

A little something I’ve been working on this week.  It actually started out as a lily pond, and once the acrylic underpainting was done – well that put an end to that idea lol!

I came across a sunset that I thought oil pastels would be the perfect medium.  What happened to my underpainting?  Well it actually fit this scene better than my original plan, so along came “Dream.”  I did something that I rarely do, I used black in the foreground – along with magenta and vandyke brown.  Many artists feel is not appropriate and will mix colors to get dark, I agree – in this case I wanted a really dark foreground so the back hills would recede.

Hope you enjoy – the oil pastel painting is an 10×8.

Dream

Dream

The reference image was from Craig C. Johnson, photographer from pmp.

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Dream, Oil Pastel Painting

1. The light in the picture seems to glow! Beautiful!

2. I see the dimension in this painting, and love the sky’s reflection in the water. Such a beautiful scene you have created.

Love your comments, thank you – you were able to see what I set out to paint. I could feel the sky as I was painting it. Really appreciate your thoughts on Dream.

3. violetski says:

This is soooooobeautiful !
    Beautiful depth and very peaceful ❤

4. So dreamy! Love this Mary!

5. Petronette says:

The depth is really great !
    Beautiful painting !

Hi Petronette, thank you! I’m glad you like it – thanks for noting the depth, was interesting getting the darks and still show the distance.

6. Great light – great feeling emanates from the painting. Well done!

7. No problem bending the rules if it works-and it does. VEry beautiful Mary.

Hi Elena – it was so funny, every time I walked away from the underpainting and came back the scene kept staring at me. I couldn’t ignore it any longer. Thank you so much for your kind words!

8. Anonymous says:

It’s just plain STUNNING! You are such a talent…. a gift!

9. You call it Dream and it´s really Dreamlike!!! 🙂

10. artscottnet says:

This is very beautiful, Mary. I love the sun shining through the clouds, the reflections in and the flow of the water. There is a pleasant dreaminess about this painting 😛

Hi Scott – thanks so much, glad you like the painting. Dream was the first word that came to mind when the painting was finished. I might go back in and work a bit with some of the water and back off some of the light on the background hills – I have to let it just sit for a bit. Thank you ~

11. silvana1989 says:

I loved!!!! you are great…

12. Healthy A-Z says:

Really beautiful light!

Hi Cyndi, thanks – I appreciate that you noticed the light. The light definitely provided some inspiration to paint the scene.

13. It’s gorgeous, Mary! I’m especially impressed with the sun behind the clouds!

Hey Calee, thank you so much for your gracious comments! There was just something about the cloud formation and the reflection that I couldn’t pass up. Thanks ~