Thursdays Drawing, Gentle Compassion #9

Are you guys tired of seeing this WIP (work-in-progress) yet?  I’m almost done . . . so with that let’s see the work done today on this piece.

The hand was the main part worked on laying in the shadows, veins and wrinkles (tough getting old, but those wrinkles have a lot of character about them).  Next week I’ll finish up the hand, fingernails and wrinkles.  I don’t want to over do the hand, because it isn’t the focus, it’s secondary as in “compassion” but still want it a bit more cleaned up.  Then onto the jacket sleeve, background and finishing touches.

Here he is . . .

Gentle Compassion #9

This entry was posted in Drawings, Thursday Drawings. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Thursdays Drawing, Gentle Compassion #9

1. Oh! I like Cindy’s idea! That would be great! This is looking great!

Hi Patricia, thank you!! I will try to do that – she’s right it makes a bigger impact to see from the first image straight through to the end. Thanks ~

2. I really like what you are doing with this series Mary. Although I am not a painter/drawer, I can see how this could help teach the art.

Hi Mark, thank you very much. It’s been a good process for me, although the driver in me wants to get it done and it’s real hard to stick to 1/2 hour each week. Your comments are appreciated!

3. NO, it’s really nice to follow and see how it develops! 😀 I love the soft nose, looking at the picture I can almost feel it.

4. Doris says:

I try to do a hand but it does not look like yours at all I am still learning. The drawing is so good we will not get tired of it,there is so much detail, my attention went to the nose and hand this time, very good!

Hi Doris, I really appreciate your comments – thank you so much. The hand is a totally new subject for me to draw, so I stared at the hand for a long time – trying to get a feel for veins, muscles, bones but also the guys relaxed nature in touch. A real work in process.

5. Pingback: I’ll drink you (Bebo de ti) | the terrain of symmetry

6. VEry nice sensitive character lines in the hand Mary. This is shaping up beautifully!

Oh Elena that just makes my day!! Thank you so much, you are a master in illustrating/painting character, your comments about “sensitive character lines” means a lot. My goal is to have the hand relaxed to symbolize compassion, so I’m trying to take the rigidness out – the thumb will need work in that regard.

7. no i am not weary of your weekly installments! i’m going to love the final post, but it will also be a bitter-sweet one! we will miss the anticipation of ‘what’s next?’ — we sometimes forget that pencil is much more time consuming than painting; pencil drawings should be double the value of paintings!!!

buen trabajo!

8. Healthy A-Z says:

This is so full of life! I’m not tired of it at all. I find the process fascinating. I’d love to see them all side by side in your final post. 🙂

Hi Cindy, thanks ~ funny I was thinking about doing a summary of this process with all the photographs. Thanks for checking in to see how he has progressed.