The Edge, oil pastel

It’s been a while since I painted an ocean scene with lots of spray and sea-foam, each time it’s like getting my feet wet all over again (no pun intended – lol)!  A challenge in the oil pastel forum of WetCanvas was an ocean and I couldn’t pass up an opportunity to paint the sea.

This oil pastel painting (8×10) has an acrylic underpainting to establish value ranges.  I was attracted to the scene because of the wet rocks and edge – they were a lot of fun to work with.  Not having painted sea-foam in a while, it took some getting used too.  This type of subject can present challenges with oil pastels because you don’t get very many tries to lay down the OPs before the grit of the surfaces fills up (with oils or acrylics you can let the painting dry and then lay in the sea-foam, making for a cleaner look).  In this case my painters knife and clay shapers came in handy and I was able to form some markings in the sea-foam to work with.  I might still adjust a bit after the painting rests for a couple of days.

The Edge

I have three other paintings I’m working on with the goal of finishing this week, at least I hope I can!

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to The Edge, oil pastel

1. Petronette says:

Wow, I can almost hear the sound of the waves.
    Fantastic painting !!!

2. Beautiful Mary! Really love the way you are able to render the waves and foam. Also the translucence of the water while it is very much in motion!

Thank you for your great comments Elena – it was fun bringing the motion of the water to the surface. I could feel the sea while painting this piece.

3. It doesn’t seem you were out of practice. This piece is so alive! You have capture the movement of the waves and the reflection of the water after they have touched the rocks. Well done, Mary!

4. doronart says:

I love sitting high on the rocks and watch the powerful monster at work. At times it can be so peacful and inviting like in your work Mary. Super I can sense, smell and hear the sound from the special work you put together my favourite places of all.

Hi Doron, thank you for your lovely comments – there is an attraction to the powerful sea, probably why I love to paint it. I’m so glad that you enjoyed this piece and felt a connection to it. Hope you are feeling better.

5. It’s lovely, Mary!! It’s like I can hear the waves and smell the salty ocean water when I look at it. 🙂

Hi Calee, thank you for your great comment! You know it’s 100, going to 105 today and I could use a walk on the beach right about now! I’m very happy that this painting take you to the beach – hope you are enjoying it!

This feels so real I can almost feel the sea spray on my face! Lovely.

Hi Dorann, so you love a good sea spray! Nothing like waking you up – thank you for your wonderful comments. Music to my ears when you say it makes you feel the subject! Thanks!!

7. this is so beautiful!!! As a beach girl, there’s nothing more beautiful than the sea to me 🙂

8. Wonderful sea Mary, I love it!
    🙂

9. Sian Mann says:

Gorgeous!

10. lifelegaciesproject says:

This is gorgeous! I love the textures and layers!

Thank you for the wonderful feedback – nice to meet you! The textures and layers is one reason why I love paining with oil pastels, the discoveries are endless.

11. Healthy A-Z says:

OUTSTANDING!! love the sea foam and the choppiness of the water and the rocks! Wow!

Hi Cyndi, thanks and glad you like the painting! I felt a need to paint the ocean and have a couple of more scenes in mind – here’s to the love of the sea!

12. artscottnet says:

Truly amazing, looks like a photograph to me! A beautiful painting, Mary

Thank you Scott! Appreciate the compliment and your wonderful comments. There are a couple of areas I might go back in and play around with, but it needs to rest up a while.

13. Jayde-Ashe says:

Absolutely stunning! You are very talented 🙂

Thank you Jayde-Ashe – appreciate your wonderful comments. Glad you like the painting! And, thanks for the compliment, means a lot ~

14. Francesca says:

Gorgeous job, Mary!

15. Mary says:

Thank you Nawfal for your lovely comment – much appreciated!

16. Nawfal says:

Beautiful! This is awesome, Mary – Great Job!