Old Shutters, oil pastel

This week’s word challenge contained the word, rust.  I love painting rust, the color combinations are like magic.

For the challenge I did a 5×7 oil pastel study of old shutters found on a building in Greece.  Just image how many times these shutters were painted, oh the stories they could tell!

Sometimes you can find the most elegant subjects in old-long forgotten things, like old buildings and shutters.  Here is my interpretation of the color rust . . .

Old ShuttersReference image was taken by photographer and artist, Ruth Archer of pmp.

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Old Shutters, oil pastel

1. I see the beauty in rust and all the different hues it takes on. When I heat metal to make jewelry with it is amazing what takes place. Wonderful work Mary!

2. Simply lovely, Mary.. I too love the colour of rust – and you have captured those shutters nicely!

3. Healthy A-Z says:

I love those kind of shutters! You captured lots of character from the years passed.

4. artscottnet says:

Brilliant!

5. Wow, painting rust is quite the challenge, but you’ve certainly managed Mary:)

6. Beautiful, Mary! It looks vintage! 😀

7. elisaruland says:

You’ve captured the time-worn colors and character of these charming shutters, Mary. Beautiful.

8. prewitt1970 says:

I find the horizontal strokes captivating.

9. They look lovely, Mary!!
    🙂

10. doronart says:

I like doors and windows especially old and rusty that give them so much more charachter, which you made look good as always.

Thank you Doron for commenting and your wonderful compliment! I really do enjoy bringing texture to the surface with oil pastels – they are a great medium for that.

• doronart says:

I never tried this media maybe one day. Watching your art, you clearly doing some great work which is inspiring. You manage to bring the reality of each subject, I feel I can always touch or feel it, well done.

11. before I even read your post, I said out loud this looks like Greece! happy dance…

Hi Laurie – how funny, had to smile with your comment! You win the prize this week! Thank you for your great thoughts on this piece.