Thursdays Drawing, new sketch of next project

It’s Thursday and that means drawing.  Time to reveal my next drawing project called “Veil of Water” for the lack of a better title, at least for now.  Please don’t let the sketch drawing scare you off, I needed to see if it would be a subject that pencils would compliment and I believe it does.

The reference image is from photographer Craig Johnson, of pmp, whose  work I’ve come to love.  There is a level of sensitivity and serenity in his photographs – I have done a number of paintings (‘Dream’ and ‘Lakeview’ located in my landscape gallery) from his work already with more slated to paint later this year.

This particular subject is of a close-up of rocks located underneath and around the bottom of a small waterfall.  The close-up really intrigued me, with wet rocks and falling water – both will be tremendous challenges for me to draw (yeah!).  I think I’ve figured out what technique use for capturing the falling water, hopefully it works.

Now, don’t laugh – but here is my rough sketch.  Next week will be the beginning of what I hope a successful drawing . . . have a great day.

Water Veil

It’s back in the studio to paint, 90% done on my first painting for the competition ~

This entry was posted in Drawings, Thursday Drawings. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Thursdays Drawing, new sketch of next project

1. violetski says:

Looking forward to sawing it 😃❤

2. Looking forward to seeing it!

3. lesliepaints says:

Seeing that wave at the top of your blog tells me that you will handle this waterfall like a pro, Mary! I will be looking forward to seeing the finished work.

Hi Leslie, thank you very much for your kind words and compliment – I really appreciate it. I’m expecting it to take several weeks w/only drawing for 30 minutes on Thursdays. I really appreciate hearing from you! Thanks ~

4. ohhhhhh! waterfall! 😉

Hi Malvika, yes and the more I think about it the more I’m getting excited to start. Oh well, I have to wait until Thursday! Thanks!!

5. Heehee.. my sketches, when I am planning to paint something, are very similar. Wow! 90% already! That is great. Happy painting! 😀

Thanks Patricia, just wraping my head around the new drawing. Yeah, really one of the three paintings is at 90% and I’m giving it a rest. Tomorrow I start #2.

6. I think that sometimes sketches just hold a place, like a 0 so we remember when we sit down and make it happen. I KNOW it will be a thing of beauty.

Aw, thanks Elena – you know I just had to get my head into this new piece. You are right, it’s a 0, but was meant to allow me think through materials to use and how I was going to draw this subject. I’m realizing it’s really two drawings in one.

7. I’m so curious! 🙂 Am travelling but must check in to follow the progress!

You are too funny! Ha, trust me you will have plenty of time to see my progress after your travels Calee – have a wonderful time, I’ll be right here when you get back.

8. Healthy A-Z says:

I did laugh, but hey, laughter is great medicine, right? It will be fun to watch the transformation.

9. you do water really really well, and i have total confidence i this new project!

One never knows, this will certainly be an interesting exercise – thanks for your huge dose of encouragement!! Thank you Z and for your post today, can’t tell you what it meant. Have a wonderful weekend!