Thursdays Drawing, Water Veil #1

It’s Thursday and time for drawing!  I know, I know you can barely see the first drawing . . . very sorry about that.  The initial layout of the drawing had to go in light because a veil of cascading water being hit by sunlight that will be drawn in, but intially I needed to keep everything very light – 4h graphite pencil.

The reference image is a tight close-up of water spilling out and cascading over rocks creating a beautiful sheer veil, with sunlight hitting the water and wet rocks, oh wow it’s what attracted me to draw the scene.

For paper I’m using 9×12 Stonehedge, white – Vellum Finish @ 250 GSM.  I chose white thinking that would help to highlight the light and water.  Not wanting to ruin the white of the paper everything but the water has been initially laid out.  I’ll be using graphite pencils in this piece.

What I most likely will have to do is draw the rocks, branches and flowing water between the rocks first, then once done with this step several coats of fixative will be applied (to seal the drawing), and finally the last step in this series will be to draw the cascading veil of water either with white charcoal or light graphite and smear the water to resemble ‘a sheer cascading veil of water.’

The top half of the drawing was laid in very lightly, and will be drawn this way as it’s mostly behind the veil – so I just want a hint of what’s back there.  The bottom half are flat rocks that are in front of the veil of water, these are wet and dark – this is where I will begin next week.  I want the darkest of the dark to go down first so I can manage subsequent graphite value ranges off the first dark rock drawn.

Back to painting, have a great weekend ~

Water Veil

This entry was posted in Drawings, Thursday Drawings. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Thursdays Drawing, Water Veil #1

1. Healthy A-Z says:

This is intriguing. Looking forward to seeing more.

2. coastalcrone says:

I know nothing about drawing so it will be fun to see how an artist works step by step. Will look forward the the finished waterfall. Thanks for the recent like for one of my posts. Have a good weekend and safe holiday!

Hi Coastal, nice to see you! Same to you – hope you are enjoying your weekend. Thank you this drawing will be challenging, an great experiment and I think a whole lot of fun to do.

3. funoften says:

yeh will want to see updated one

Hi funoften, nice to meet you – thank you for visiting! If you stay tuned, 30 minutes each week doesn’t give me a lot of time to work on this drawing, but that’s okay it’s like a little surprise every week and then all of a sudden the drawing comes to life. It’s a lot of fun!

4. Petronette says:

I am looking forward, to see you painting grow ! 😉

5. Looking forward to the progression Mary!

6. Doris says:

Very good! Well I am learning so much from the time outs, did not know you had to seal the drawings, I am looking forward to this drawing.

From what I have read fixative would probably be the best option. If the fixative works I’ll be able to smear the water when creating the veil effect. So part of the drawing will have that applied, most like several coats so I don’t disturb the background drawing. We’ll all be finding out together is this works or not – stay tuned. I like experimenting – this is fun to me.

7. doronart says:

sound very complicated to me reading but I trust your ability to do it so like the rest I’ll sit patiently waiting to see the progress as the details making it look very nice.

Hi Doron, thanks and will see how this turns out – might be a bit too complicated for me. But, the reference image just spoke to me. So I have to at least give it a go – thanks!

8. Fascinating, look forward to the next instalment. Never heard of white charcoal, sounds interesting, I shall have to look it up.

Hi Cara, thanks very much – it does take a while to get these weekly drawings going. I haven’t decided exactly how I’ll tackle the veiled water – but I’m leaning towards some white charcoal. Will have to see, probably 8-10 weeks before I begin drawing that aspect.

9. Looks good Mary! Happy Painting! 😀

10. I received comments not only on the post but also in person about your last drawing session! This will be equally educational and fun to follow! z

Oh Z you are so nice, I mean seriously – I’m a newbie where drawing is concerned and need to take lessons from you! I think this is going to be fun, while challenging – lots of figuring out w/techniques to see if my hunches hold any weight. You are so busy these days, was great seeing your compass – the floor looks phenomenal. Have a great weekend!

11. artscottnet says:

Can’t wait to see it progress, Mary. Have lots of fun! A beautiful good day to you

Hi Scott, so nice to hear from you. Thanks and this will be quite the challenge; I’m very interested to see if I can get the cascading veil very exciting and looking forward to it. Hope your day is going well – so far no painting (not good) but getting my hands into it momentarily.