Silent Walk, oil pastel

Yes, I’ll bet you thought I was done with winter scenes.  Well I couldn’t leave well enough alone, after receiving a couple of requests for more .  .  . besides there are so many winterscapes waiting to be done, why not?

So here is the first of several oil pastel (7×5) winter scenes that I’ll be painting, and boy was this one a real doozy to get involved in.  First I used an artist canvas board as the surface, and while there is nothing wrong with that particular kind of surface – there’s a gesso on top that does not respond well to my slick Senneliers (like painting with wet lipstick).  So this particular scene underwent two major re-works by scraping as much as the oil pastel off as I could.  What would have been a beautiful bare Willow in the winter, there was no way I could get the wonderful long twigs painted – they became much too chopped do to the texture of the surface and slickness of the oil pastel.

So after the scrape down I had a thought last night – decided to paint a large bare oak instead, and slowly what I envisioned began to emerge.  I love a challenge and this one was just that . . . here’s Silent Walk.

Silent Walk

Was began was inspired by a reference image from Elena of pmp.

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Silent Walk, oil pastel

1. joergkruth says:

Trees are really a fine motive in wintertime. Great atmosphere!

2. Healthy A-Z says:

I particularly like this. It is fresh and illusive.

3. Andre T says:

Nice, i like it 😀

4. Amazing painting, Mary!!

5. I’m enjoying your winter scenes extra much this season, since we haven’t had any snow at all!! Very nice, Mary! At least I can fall into your painting and imagine myself being there, walking up the steps, breathing the crisp air,.. 🙂

.Ah …so nice contemplating your wintry scenes Mary ….. up the steps …along under the tree jump up and shake a dusting of snowflakes over each other … laughing …oops .. no longer a silent walk .. 🙂

So funny Poppy, great comment – yep I’ll bet we’d have a good laugh. Thank you for your comment, great to read first thing this morning.

The lonely steps and the one lone frozen tree you have captured so well make this lovely painting and your title perfect!

Thank you Dorann. The title was immediate once the scene was done – it reminded me of being the first to go out and explore after a snow fall and everything is really quiet and the only sound is crunching footsteps. Thanks ~

8. Pink Saucer says:

Love this painting… Without being too dramatic, it’s simplicity is gorgeous

9. timethief says:

I’m enjoying these winter scenes so much. The colors and shading are so beautifully done.

Hi Timethief, thank you so much – means a lot. There are still a few colors that I want to use for snow, so there will be a few more pieces to come.

10. doronart says:

Mary they are all great and joy to watch even if you had enough. No doubt you master the season and we enjoy to see your great work doing it again and again.

Thank you Doron, I’m so glad you are enjoying this painting. Yesterday I thought the painting was a lost cause, last night I gave it slim hope, and today once I started working out the Oak everything fell into place. Thanks for the encouragement.

11. sefeniak says:

I must say this painting is lovely even if winter is not my favorite time of year. Then I will have to admit snow makes everything look pretty and cleaner.

Thanks Susan, great to hear from you. I don’t miss the coldness that comes with snow, but I’m with you fresh snow makes for some beautiful scenery.

12. Lovely! I can’t imagine using oil pastel on a canvas board. I love your description of the surface with the medium:)

Thanks Elena. Glad you found it interesting, sometimes I get an urge to try oils or watercolors – maybe one day. But for now I’ll keep playing with the OPs.

13. I can not wait for my lesson in water color Mid Feb.
    I love your pieces Mary.

14. Sharon K. says:

I love your winter scenes. We’ve a long ways to go. Take advantage of it :-).

15. Another awesome painting Mary.

16. exiledprospero says:

Ah, and you are saving the best, and most bluish, for last…

Don’t you feel warmer now? I do.

Have you gotten your fill of snow yet? If not, I have a few more snow colors up my sleeve, or paint brush as you will Prospero. Glad you enjoyed the piece there are a few more coming ~

17. Craig says:

Keep these wondrous winter scenes coming!