Fenced Out, oil pastel

What do you think when you come across a fenced area?  Doesn’t the scene usually invoke a sense of mystery, perhaps we get a little curious?

Fenced Out, an oil pastel (8×10) was painted on Mi-Teintes gray-tinted pastel paper with Senneliers and Neopastels OPs.  I needed a surface that could handle a lot the abuse of scraping with a painters knife and razor blade, the paper passed the test nicely.  A reference photograph from John Robinson of pmp was used for inspiration.

I was curious while painting this piece.  It was a great winter-woodsy scene, but the fence – well I couldn’t stopped wondering why the fence?  What was down the path?

Have a great weekend  .  .

Fenced Out

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Fenced Out, oil pastel

1. So soft and wintery! I love this Mary! Terrific work!

2. violetski says:

This is stunning, Mary!
    I really love it❤️❤️❤️❤️

3. Charissa says:

This is so beautiful! Robert Frost comes to mind.

4. Mona says:

Wow that’s pretty. Makes me want to climb the gate and see what’s beyond.

Hey Mona, thanks very much – really appreciate reading your feedback! There is a bunch of us going to go check that place out, do you want to join us??

Beautiful, Mary 🙂 I don’t know how you came across me but many thanks for following mine.

6. This looks exactly like a place I saw today! Less the snow of course.. and in my case there were some friendly Scottish Highland cattle down the path. 🙂 Now I feel like a broken record but I say it again anyway: Wonderful painting, Mary!!

7. sefeniak says:

Lovely work! On a sunnier warmer day I would say, open the gate and let me threw…..

8. iarxiv says:

I really liked this one. And I agree that seeing a fence begs the question ‘what is it fencing off’, if nothing more than subconsciously. Looking at your picture, I keep wondering what’s a little further down towards the horizon? What’s just beyond those trees where the path curves? Lovely painting! 🙂

Quick …there .. no there … didn’t you see …. a flash of the Golden Unicorn ….
    Love your wintry woodland scene Mary !

Love your creativity Poppy! Yes, I did see that flash – do you think, could it be? Ah will have to wait until the next time . . . thank you so much!

What a magical place you have conjured Mary. I think this is my favorite of all.

11. doronart says:

I jumped over few in my life just for the same reason.. I felt someone tried to shut a beautiful place away from us… was not always right but did find some beautiful places. I have no doubt that is special too and the great front view confirm it too. Great painting Mary and maybe it is good someone shut this one as it look very cold deep in the distance.. Have a warm weekend.

Thank you Doron, ah so you like to explore too! You just never know what amazing thing may be discovered. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, thank you for your beautiful thoughts.

• doronart says:

I love it and some time jumping over closed gates did not ended so good, but once you explain and show good intention people always respect it. Now that there is a sketching book and sometime even a board and paints it even worked better. Don’t you think it will be better if all doors or gate rmeained always open?? Have a super weekend x

12. Love the branch in the foreground and path that leads us onward:)

13. Francesca says:

Lovely, Mary! It looks like an enchanted fence and scenery.

14. exiledprospero says:

I, adjusting the scarf around my neck, take account of the unstated though peremptory threat not to trespass, whereas the camera in Citizen Kane is confronted with the unambiguous ‘No Trespassing’ sign at Xanadu.

I may be frozen standing at that gate, but the camera from the movie is probably still hotter than hellfire, owing to the massive amounts of lights Welles had to employ to get those famous deep focus shots.

You can’t stop yourself Propsero, as you must continue to stare off into the woods – yes, if only Wells had turned on just one more light the mystery at the back of the woods may have been revealed. Loved your view and memories of No Trespassing ~ all works in the shroud of mysterious scenes.

15. Maria says:

I really want to get closer and take a look… :p Wonderful painting Mary!!! 🙂

16. Beautiful Mary. Beyond the path just out of view is a warm, cozy cabin. There is a light shining from the window, and smoke drifting out of the chimney. I know this because I have been down that path. :o)…..

17. Leya says:

Finally I recognize my daily path in your paintings! This looks just like my afternoon walk today – snow and all. You have captured it beautifully. And I know what’s behind that fence…summertime at least. Sheep!

Thank you very much Ann Christine – so funny, we are visiting the same path! But, sheep, lol that was great! Really appreciate your comment.