Only Eyes for You, oil pastel

I was asked to donate a painting to a charity with the goal of animal rescue.  Twelve paintings are being donated for the charity and will be formatted into a calendar for purchase later on during this year – once the calendar is available for purchase I’ll send out a blog posting for anyone that is interested.

I was given a choice of subjects to choose from:  dog, cat or specific bird types – I choose Conures who have beautiful, vibrant colors.

Only Eyes for You, an oil pastel (11×9), was painted on Mi-Teintes ochre tinted pastel paper – it handled multiple layers of OPs and razor scraping beautifully.

Finally I look forward to enjoying your blog posts, I’ve been missing for a week and ready to get back at it.  Hope you have a wonderful week – thanks for looking,

Only Eyes for You

This painting is based on a loose interpretation of a photograph taken by Paul Sherman of pmp.

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to Only Eyes for You, oil pastel

1. jolynproject says:

❤ the colors in your work. Very vivid and beautiful.

2. Karen B says:

What a fabulously, beautiful piece of work! I totally love it. I used to be a watercolourist and I always failed to create the backgrounds I could feel were inside me. You are brilliant and all this with what I see as messy, totally impossible to control pastels!-Karen.

Hi Karen, thank you for your generous comments and feedback – means a lot. Thank you for mentioning the background, sometimes I see them before I start a painting and then there are times when it’s not until the painting is almost done before I have an “ah-ha” moment – took a while to get my brain to recognize what I was seeing, so I understand totally. Thank you for your compliment!

3. Sweet little guys created for a terrific cause. I hope they sold for LOTS:)

This really tickled me Mary what with the little bird on the end …he DOES look so put out … smile..
    Lovely painting with such sunny vibrancy which I can totally appreciate at the moment 😉

I bet you can!! Aloha Poppy and thank you very much (isn’t he a riot!). Hope you are thoroughly enjoying yourself – looking forward to your return.

5. Oh Mary, Mary, Mary, what a lovely painting!!! And you’re so kind to donate it to the charity! A very worthy cause, I’m sure this will help many animals! 😀

6. Francesca says:

I love those parrots, Mary! Masterfully painted!

7. violetski says:

Lovely, sweet painting dear Mary! ❤️

8. ladyfi says:

That’s a lovely painting.

9. They should garner a lot of money for a well deserved cause. I hope to be able to do something like this some day as well Bless You.

10. Mary, what boldness and beauty. Such a generous heart to donate your work…blessings.

11. Madhu says:

Ha and three’s a crowd! Gorgeous painting Mary 🙂

12. So beautiful and full of life. It’s a wonderful work.

13. Wow! I am impressed by the contrast of your usual tones, not that I dislike them. It is just different. 😀

Such a lovely subject and wonderful cause. Thanks for sharing! 😀

Your skills with this medium is a joy to watch 🙂

14. Maria says:

Beautiful painting for a calendar, it is lovely!!!!! 🙂

15. lifelegaciesproject says:

Gorgeous and so realistic! Wonderful patterns!

The colours are beautifully vibrant. Love them.

Beautiful colors and a perfect fit for the “only have eyes for you” challenge.

18. Heartafire says:

Such lovely work! We have parrots here in Miami, none more beautiful than these, I am an artist but very intimidated by oils. Kudos! Your painting is stunning.

Absolutely stunning Mary! Not only do I adore birds, but your vibrant colors are eye candy! Good luck with the charity donation. It’s a worthy cause for sure.♥

20. JSD says:

It’s beautiful….love the colors!

21. Leya says:

Just wonderful, Mary! Rich colours and I can hear them talking to each other!

Thank you Ann-Christine. So funny you mention them talking, we’ve had so many birds coming back and hanging out in the trees outside my studio that I was listening to them chattering away the entire time I was painting this piece!

22. Awwww, they are lovely, Mary!!!! 🙂

23. Doris says:

Beautiful, the color and texture simply amazing

24. It’s wonderful that you are planning to make a calendar with your artwork. I’m looking forward to your next post about it.

Thanks Evelyne for your nice comment. The painting has been donated for a charity fund raising event – I heard yesterday they are still considering whether to do a calendar or an e-book.

25. Mona says:

This is so charming. I hope it does well at auction.

26. Beautiful, Mary! I love the colours 🙂

27. M. R. says:

As I don’t know where you live, Mary, I don’t know of those gorgeous birds – although I’ve just discovered that whilst the originate in Mexico and down the western coast of South America, there are several kinds in Oz!! The painting is, of course!, marvellous!; and I’m happy to know that your lengthy absence was due only to work commitments. 🙂

Thanks M.R. this was an interesting and exciting project to work on – the Sun Conures are beautiful creatures. Glad to be back blogging again.