You could say I scratched the drawing and started from the beginning, incorporating several different methods and hopefully the new techniques produce the outcome that I’m looking for.
My goal was for the background to be smooth and slight variations with lower value ranges for the fabric folds. My original drawing was getting look I was after so here is what I’ve done. Starting from scratch I outlined the ballerina on a piece of frisket film and adhered that to the drawing paper (Strathmore Bristol Vellum) – my purpose in this step is to keep the ballerina clean while the background is being worked on. Once the background is completed the frisket will be peeled off and the second phase of the drawing will begin.
The next step today, I started to work on the background. Taking vine charcoal I scratched it against sandpaper to produce a fine dust, then using a cotton ball in small circles I worked it across the paper. I used this method because I wanted the flat charcoal, but very smooth. Once done, I used graphite pencil #6 and begin working from the top of the paper down. After the surface was covered I used a piece of felt and begin working on the graphite going using vertical strokes again wanting a fine smooth finish. The background is nearly completed in this phase and next week the folds of the fabric will be started.
LOL, the frisket on the ballerina’s finger tips and nose kind of got moved and has lifted from the paper – so guess what I’ll be concentrating on hard and soft edges and these two areas will worked beautifully for that, now that they won’t be clean of charcoal or graphite. Oh yeah and her feet, well they got torn off and hopefully I’ll be able to bring them back to good form once I start working on the ballerina.
I couldn’t let the day go by without drawing! Hope you enjoy ~ I’m happy with the way these techniques are shaping up.