Here is what I call an experiment that went bad, with no return . . .
I’ve never painted a Weeping Willow tree before and decided to include one in the 15-Day challenge. I didn’t realize that it would be a “real” challenge, it certainly was that and more.
First, I used the wrong paper (8×10) archival Scrapbook paper that has a lot of texture, I figure that would be interesting for the tree, nope I fought with it every step of the way. In addition, the paper was tinted olive-green, which influenced every aspect of the painting (what was I thinking) – a complimentary color or cream would have been better choices giving a much-needed break from the saturation of green. What I didn’t count on, was how difficult it was to cover up the green and that of course used up most of the texture needed for painting with OPs.
The reference tree shape was odd-shaped and not having any prior experience painting a Weeping Willow, it was difficult to say the least. I figured since the paper color was a middle value range I’d be able to count on the lower and higher value ranges to make the leaves pronounced – did not work. Then I tried scraping the leaves with a razor blade for additional definition of branch and leave, sometimes this works in this case – not at all.
In the end I stopped painting, no sense in wasting premium oil pastels. My challenge for Day 9 was to try to paint a convincing Weeping Willow, the results are not too good. I tried and I’m happy to be moving onto my next tree challenge.