I’m so frustrated . . . such a waste of time

I hope you don’t mind, but this post is a bit of complaining and excuse on my part  for perhaps a lack of communication .   .   .   at the end of May I was out of touch for about 10 days, traveling and visiting family, with no technology to stay on top of my blog and reader generated posts of blogs that I follow.

Upon my return I noticed that several blogs that I follow were not loading into my Reader, I’ve tried to keep up on this and a simple un-follow and re-follow did the trick and your lovely blogs started flowing into my reader once again.

But, and here is where I’m totally frustrated, following over 300+ blogs obviously means that unless I go seeking certain blogs (because their posts are not loading into my reader) then I’m missing some of your posts.

This morning I discovered that I’ve missed posts from an artist and blogging friend, Z from Playamart for over a month – wordpress are you kidding me?!  http://playamart.wordpress.com/ I’m so sorry Lisa.  If you have not had an opportunity to come across Z’s beautiful art and photography then you’re missing out on some incredible talent that comes to us from Ecuador.  Lisa is my inspiration for drawing and in fact, is the Blogger who got many of us started with “Time out for Art,” Thursday’s 1/2 hour of drawing.  Without Lisa’s support and encouragement I don’t think I would have picked my pencil back up.  Please say hello to Z – she would love to see or meet you.

If you haven’t been receiving “likes” or “comments” from me over the last six weeks, please let me know.  I’ll un-follow and re-follow to re-set my reader.

Thanks my friends and now I’m headed to the studio to finish a painting and shake my head of technology frustrations.

This entry was posted in Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to I’m so frustrated . . . such a waste of time

1. I cannot keep up with my reader — it’s way too stuffed solid and half the time, the likes disappear. I try to visit and catch up. Getting likes and comments helps me do that, because then I have a quick link to the site.

2. violetski says:

Dear Mary,
    The same bro elm in my blog too! I don’t have many blogs new posts and mostly have missed them…
    It is really annoying…..

Thanks Violet – it seems we are all experiencing this same issues with the Reader. Which means it’s not any one of us, but how they have the Reader parameters programmed.

3. Leya says:

I always (I think)! get your lovely comments, Mary, but recognize the follow and unfollow too. I think I’ll follow the advice of reading when there’s a comment or a like instead. Liza has dropped out of mine too – more than once. And – I also get people who I’m not following…I find it difficult to keep up with all the blogs I’m following – about the same amount as you – but now that the summer is nearly over I’ll be home more. Hope you’re getting my comments?

Hi Ann-Christine, I’ve always received your comments – which I love by the way (you are always present in your comments and that means a lot). Thankfully not everyone posts everyday so some days it’s a very quick process for me.

I follow over 300 too but I find that WP is ‘selective’ with which blogs it posts in the Reader. I very often don’t use it and simply return visits to commenters and likers instead. That takes as much time as I have, and more, Mary. I follow Zee too but don’t get to hers often enough. I’ll pop there now 🙂

Thanks so much – maybe it’s time that the Reader has a major overhaul because too many are encountering the same problems.

5. Oh my goodness Mary ! You’re following over 300+ blogs? Don’t know how you ever can keep up. Know you always have a friend with me and keeping up with my blog has nothing to do with it. Keep your head up and start anew.

Ha Emily it’s called going through them very quickly, but making sure that I comment on those that immediately takes my interest. In normal times most bloggers don’t post so I can get through a days worth of posts in about 45 minutes and for me it’s a very enjoyable experience being able to see peoples art, photographs and writings – love it. But when WP gives me problems, well that’s another story and on Monday I work through posts made on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. At some point I’ll be weeding through the list of blogs that I follow. Thank you for your words, I love your work and ventures so I wouldn’t miss your posts! Take care and have a wonderful rest of your week.

I too have problems with the reader. I find it’s just easier to bookmark the blog itself and then click on it separately from the reader. The reader loads funny and I noticed I’ll be trying to click on a post and then it disappears! Your comments have been coming through fine on my blog and I appreciate them very much Mary.

Hi Rhonda, thanks for your feedback and comments on this. It seems that everyone has the same issues with the reader and notifications. Thanks for letting me know about my comments coming through – have a wonderful rest of the week.

7. Take it easy, Mary. Following so many posts is simply overwhelming and impossible to catch up with. I know the problem! We know where to find you. Relax and come back to us when you get all set. No worry for me. Thank you for your artistic work.

Hi Evelyne – thank you, such good advice. Come back and let things be as they will be – no need to worry about it. I’m starting to agree with you. Enjoy your week.

8. Millie Ho says:

You are not alone, Mary. I have been missing some updates from bloggers I follow as well, and have to manually add them back or bookmark them instead. Hang in there, I’m sure there’s a solution underway!

Hi Millie, thank you so much for responding to this post. I think perhaps there are parameters built into the Reader, and if we go beyond, then the issues arise that we all have encountered. Have a great week.

I hope you managed to finish that painting Mary 🙂
    Oh I know … it is SO maddening when such things happen, I think you know how I’ve had a number of visits from Gordon the Gremlin …I’ve found similar things happen and sometimes I’ve not had the e mail notifications either . Somehow WP only seems to hold blogs followed for a certain number … or an amount of time .. Not really worked it out .
    Do hope the situation improves for you x

I’m with you Poppy and fully appreciate that sometimes notification are there and sometimes they never hit. You are totally onto what I think is the problem or rather issues: The Reader only seems to have enough room to follow a certain number of posts for a certain period of time. And, if we go longer than these factors then posts, notifications and other factors start to go awry. Have a wonderful week!

10. Mary, I luckily receive all your lovely comments, but I don’t think you are alone. Some of my blogger friends have been dropped off my “follow” list. For all I know, my comments aren’t coming through.

Thanks Elena, so weird isn’t it. Just trying to figure out what to do to make the reader more efficient – perhaps it’s a fulltime job of wordpress too?!

11. Nawfal says:

I fully understand your frustration, Mary. 🙂 Well, we move forward, and I always like seeing your awesome work!

You are so kind Nawfal! Thank you very much for acknowledging it and I agree, we’ll move forward and be grateful this is all I have to complain about. Have a fantastic week my friend.

12. Zina says:

What I’ve noticed is that I’m receiving notifications through my feed of people’s comments on a particular blog. It never was the case. How do I stop this? Also, you haven’t seen anything from my blog for a while because I’ve been MIA for most of this year. Hoping to change this now that I’ve picked up my brushes again, yay. I’ve missed painting!!

Hi Zina, thanks so much for replying. This is a source of frustration and I feel so bad because I haven’t the foggiest notion of how to get the reader feed to work properly. I’m looking forward to seeing new paintings from you – have a wonderful week!

Yes, I will add my name to those who have had this problem. It is frustrating.

14. M-R says:

The (ugh !) Reader is full of bugs. It must be very frustrating for you, Mary …

15. niasunset says:

It happens to us too dear Mary. But you are so nice and so thoughtful. Thanks and Love, nia

16. ĽAdelaide says:

WP is always doing things in “the background” lately, especially with the reader. I’ve noticed some I don’t follow are there and others aren’t showing up but if we are to depend on it to keep up, then we must depend on them! It’s extremely annoying!

xx

17. i feel your pain!  many times i don’t get the email notices and then i find them in the spam folder.. every single wordpress notice, and then it’s ok again for  a few months…

long ago i had the same problem with mysteriously not following, though sometimes that ‘unfollow’ button is easy to hit by accident…

i have not been able to scan the new notifications page (slow internet) but i did notice there were no ‘pingback’ notifications today, and there should have been at least three, including yours… of course they might be hiding in the spam folder, though there’s no way i will risk scanning it and losing access to the inbox.

one of these days i’ll have normal internet!

i was able to see your post but not comment or like re;this week’s thursday drawing….  it’s looking great!

(btw- i’m commenting via email reply to your new post notification>)

________________________________

Thanks Z on top of the normal issues we have with WP, you have the added struggle of lack of internet connection or so slow you might as well not be on it. I’m grateful for the community, but not when system gremlins take over. Take care!

18. Steven says:

Again, this happens to me very often indeed. Likes are wiped, blogs do not appear in my reader unless they feel like it, and notifications do not appear in my own little indicator in the corner. The gremlins do seem to be getting into the system rather a lot lately. Let’s hope it’s sorted soon!

Hi Steven, you’re right. I’m thinking of maybe doing a poll with my followers on the number/type of issues we are encountering and sending onto wordpress with some questions, or just send my questions – I’m trying to pinpoint when the problems occur, something is triggering these issues. There is always a reason and maybe WP has some limits programmed into the system.

19. cindy knoke says:

And I see I am currently unfollowing you!! This happens too!!!

I’ve noticed this too Cindy – it could be that the system is real sensitive and when the cursor just touches it when you’re scrolling that spontaneous reaction might turn off following button.

20. doronart says:

Mary, We all have problems some time but generally we should be grateful for having such a great platform to post and meet each other. Unfortunately I don’t have such a good excuse for not being here but I always return back when I can. I know one thing for sure which is if I come back to my blog and I don’t see that nice lady’s great red flower icon on my page, I rush straight to check how is she doing! I would not miss Mary’s blog for the world.. and even WP faults would not stop me. Beautiful work as always which is joy to watch and great book review which I enjoyed looking into. Have a great weekend 🙂

You are a beautiful blogging friend Doron – thank you for your thoughts and lovely comments. I hope you paint something very special this weekend.

• doronart says:

Thank you, we went out with the club to a small village Leigh and it was great to work with so many different friends and see each other work. I do couple of hours and then have to recover over many more but the weather nice at the moment and the painting give me great strength. I’ll visit you soon x

21. cindy knoke says:

This happens endlessly to me. I miss posts that aren’t in the reader. My likes are erased. Huge time gaps appear in the reader where people’s post are eliminated. I require the reader to manage my blog and it malfunctions constantly. I am very responsible about reading blogs and this breaks my heart. WP has yet to acknowledge of do anything about this~

Thanks Cindy and you nailed it! I’ve been thinking about causes and am starting to piece some things together – I might either put a poll out there to do some analysis and send results to wordpress, or just send a note with my thoughts to wordpress. I believe there is an explanation, that hasn’t been sufficiently explained to us, the disruption is taking away the efficiency of the system.

22. Jess says:

It seems like this happens to everyone on here at least once. I just refollowed the blogs I rememered about, hoping I got them all.

23. Jackie says:

I have had this happen to me as well – it’s very frustrating and annoying! 😦

24. Jane Lurie says:

This seems to be a common issue, Mary.

25. that is really annoying!