Thursdays Drawing, Waiting #6

Here is a little sanity after this disappointing and disturbing week.   As you may or may not know, I draw for 30 minutes once/week as a way to keep fresh – sometimes it runs over and I usually work on a subject that takes 12 – 20 hours.

Today I worked on Waiting for two hours oh I know way past my allotted time, but I have a good reason work began on the back wave and sea-foam and I didn’t want to disrupt the flow.  First I had to remove the frisket and happy to report that none of it stuck to the surface (yeah!).   Drawing today was done using graphite #4H, 2H and HB on certain areas and on other areas (more foamy sea-foam) I smudged with a dirty tortilium perfect for making faint sea-foam holes and definition.  At this stage of the drawing, getting values right are very important and will make or break the sea-foam.

This was fun, seriously and was a great diversion from (certain) internet problems.  Hope you enjoy the changes, Waiting is starting to unfold before our eyes.

Waiting, #6

Waiting, #6

Have a wonderful weekend, thanks for checking in and being so supportive with what’s happening with my blog images ~

MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.
PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE MY IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.

This entry was posted in Drawings, Thursday Drawings. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Thursdays Drawing, Waiting #6

1. Great frisketing, ever better rendering.

2. This is turning out so lovely. I love how you handle water in your art. It has a wonderful sense of movement.

Thank you Janell so much – there is something magical about working with water. I like the challenge of creating believable movement, happy you mentioned this aspect.

3. “Waiting” is well worth waiting for 🙂 I enjoyed also reading about your process of creating the artwork.

4. ladyfi says:

This is so lovely!

5. This is beautiful Mary. Such a gorgeous, elegant bird. The heron has been the subject of my writings numerous times.

Thank you very much Don, I can’t wait to start on the Heron – but he’ll have to wait until the waves are done. In the end your description is exactly what I hope to portray, the elegance of this specimen. Thanks again ~

6. I adore paintings of waves and this is fabulous thank you. I just found you through timethief. Your a talented artist x

7. Always in admiration! 20 minutes of writing don’t take me that far, believe me. Glad to see that you take your copyright seriously. I still have a hard time to understand why people assume that creative work is free. Best to you.

8. Steven says:

I’m enjoying seeing this come together in waves. The water looks fantastic. So much movement captured in it – something I often find quite a challenge to ‘get right’.

I can feel the sea air. Bravo!

9. I love to see your pictures coming to life! 🙂 Have a lovely Sunday, Mary.

10. Such wonderful movement in this ocean scene Mary.

11. doronart says:

Mary, Always it is joy to come back and see your great work half hour or many hours always great. How can one stop painting a sea in the middle? I normally can’t stop when ever i paint.. I am too much in the painting… but some do take longer. Sorry to read about the people who use your work.. unfortunately for some people there is no rules.. Hope you are well and as always it is great to visit your special world have a good weekend 🙂 xx

I’m so glad to hear the frisket cooperated! Yay. 🙂 I’m sure your time spent was very therapeutic. It’s looking wonderful Mary. Have a great weekend. xo

13. from the hostal room, i am able to enjoy the entire post and not imagine what the image looks like! it’s wonderful, and the 2 hours you dedicated to it were surely beneficial to your ‘mental health’ from the internet woes…

drawing has a way of stopping time – we enter a calming sea of peace, and it’s hard to emerge, especially when we want to reach land before stepping back into another task!

i loved your copyright announcement at the bottom and will probably follow your lead and will also call attention to what happened… i hope that you are able to move forward legally without too much pain, as people have to learn that it is not ok to steal.

Hih Lisa, thank you so much! I’m loving drawing this seascape scene – I never thought drawing could bring such a beautiful feeling in a scene – love working on this seascape. Glad to see that you are able to connect, hope the hostal was comfortable!

14. Zara says:

Beautifully illustrated! Time well spent I say! 🙂

So pleased you were able to devote yourself to your regular Thursday drawing and that you could banish some of the nasty internet troubles for awhile. I like your big copyright notice.

Thank you Gallivanta! I’m so into this drawing, I really just want to have a whole day to finish it – hard staying disciplined to the timeframe. The notice is a little too big, so it will be reduced on next post.

16. Beautiful progressing! I’m thoroughly enjoying the stages of it! Wishing you a wonderful weekend as well!

Thank you Eva! I walked past the drawing last evening and thought oh I can’t wait until next Thursday so sat down and worked on a small area that has bothered me for a long time (broke my time frame rule, arghhhh). Looks better, and I feel better – so it was okay and now I can let it go until next Thursday. Have a great weekend!

17. Millie Ho says:

Great progress, Mary! I’m “waiting” (terrible pun) for the final product. Looking at your stages of completion has instilled in me a sense of patience when I’m working on my own art. You’re an inspiration!

Ha Millie – such a great comment and compliment, thank you! This slower pace of drawing has so many benefits – every time I sit down to draw on Thursday I see the piece with a fresh eye and I get more connected with the drawing. In this case, the sea and her movements. Have a wonderful weekend and thanks again!

18. M-R says: