Personal Challenge – Rocks/Boulders: Brown River Rocks, #12

Here’s #12, getting close to my goal of 15 studies of rocks and boulders.

Brown River Rocks is an oil pastel (5×7) painted on beige Mi-Teintes pastel paper using mainly Senneliers brand of OPs.  Because it’s a small painting clay shapers were used to move the paint around the surface.

Brown River Rocks

Brown River Rocks

Reference image was from Jim Pierce with pmp.

MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.
PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE MY IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.

This entry was posted in Challenges: Subject Matter Studies, OPs New Paintings, Rocks/Boulders and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Personal Challenge – Rocks/Boulders: Brown River Rocks, #12

1. violetski says:

Love reflections Mary!
    Beautiful painting❤️

2. Love the broken up pieces here. It’s different from your other studies but equally lovely. Love the values and textures mixed together for a perfect balance.

Thanks Eva- portraits are such a change for my usual subjects, but most enjoyable. Thanks for noticing the values and textures, I think being able to work charcoal like this is what I find so fascinating about the medium.

3. Steven says:

As usual, you’ve really nailed the water here. It looks beautiful… a really inviting setting!

4. The reflections are glorious!

5. lesliepaints says:

I like the different shapes in this composition of rocks and water. …and most of the rocks are blue and most of the water red rust and it reads beautifully! Good study, Mary.

Love this one, especially the water flowing around the boulders.

7. Anonymous says:

Love your rocks! I’ve just discovered OPs & your blog. Thanks so much for sharing your art work. It is wonderful to see what you’ve accomplished in oil pastels. C. V. in TN

Lovely colours 🙂

9. Mary,
    Another beautiful work. Congratulations!
    My best to you
    john

10. Most impressed with your work here. The water is absolutely shimmering. Rocks very good and I also like the touch of greenery on the lower left fading back into the browns plants there. This is what really gives it the contrast it needs as a whole in my opinion. But again, just my untrained eye here.

Thank you A! Untrained or trained, you nailed it – the painting was done w/o the greenery and leaving it for a time, coming back it screamed relief so the greenery was added.

11. Don says:

Marvellous shapes and colour Mary. Your rocks are filled with interest.Lovely painting.

12. Just like the rocks in the river near where I now live….you can hop across the water on them…You’ve rendered the textures in such a realistic way, that just like my river rocks, you can’t be sure which ones are the slippery ones and which ones are safe to jump upon….very nice!

Hi Cynthia, thank you so much for your compliment. Oh I remember the flush rivers of Maine, with some great rocks – so beautifully set down by nature. Perhaps a poem will develop about slippery rocks ~ just a little thought.

13. Madhu says:

The colours and textures are incredible Mary! Water must be so hard to get right.

Hi Madhu, thank you so much – appreciate it! Interesting it took some time but I’ve learned how to manipulate water with oil pastels. For me the rocks are harder – not always easy to get proper beige color of rocks w/OPs. You can blend oil pastels together, but the results aren’t anywhere near as what can be achieved with acrylics or oil paints.

14. aFrankAngle says:

Like rocks have in nature, you have created a variety of textures. Cheers to your work!

15. Jess says:

Oh this is beautiful Mary! Love the shimering effect. Really nicely done.