Thursday’s Drawing – Strands of Silk, final

Here she is, my final second seascape in graphite and again I’m amazed at how rich a seascape can be developed with this medium.

Strands of Silk (6×9) was drawn on Strathmore Bristol Vellum using graphite pencils 4H, 2H, HB, B and 2B for their reflective qualities.  The seagulls were done in carbon (a flat quality) keeping them in front of the waves.  For the sea-foam spray some were drawn with dark and light values, and others (like the puffs of spray) were done with a kneaded eraser for larger and lighter spray.  The back water was brushed out and layered back in several times with graphite to give that area of water a darker and richer feel.

Thank you for staying with the project and checking in.

Strands of Silk, final

Strands of Silk, final

MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.
PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE MY IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.

This entry was posted in Drawings, Thursday Drawings and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Thursday’s Drawing – Strands of Silk, final

1. another great exercise in discipline and mastery of the medium! so i’m wondering.. what do you do with the volume of work you’re producing?!

Thanks Lisa, I’m enjoying drawing seascapes – a great escape from the confines of oil pastels. Good question, at the present I’m just enjoying the experience being able to create art – at some point your question will have to be seriously considered, because there is starting to be quite a stock pile.

2. Mary, this is mesmerizing with the delicacy of the wings against the turmoil of the sea. It is extraordinary……power and grace combined. I love it!

3. What a beautiful perspective! You really captured the dimensional aspect of it by adding seagulls and I love the fact of stretched out motionless wings placed above a mass of a full in motion sea water, just a perfect balance! Absolutely beautiful piece Mary!

Thank you Eva. You nailed what attracted me to draw the scene – the balance between massive power of the sea against the delicacy of the gulls. Water is a very potent subject that I truly enjoy working out. Thanks so much!

4. The power and the harmony of this piece, along with the wonderful rendering makes it stand out. Simply marvelous, Mary.

5. Gorgeous works of art Mary.

6. Mary, this is stunning. The seagulls are a delicate, amazing touch.

7. Five stars work, Mary. I have no idea – although you explain your steps – how you manage to create such texture. I can feel the wave and see the seagulls.

8. Marcus Case says:

Wonderful. Thank you. I can’t stop looking at it!

The seagulls are a lovely final touch. 🙂

10. Jackie says:

Beautiful work, Mary! I hope you have a lovely weekend.

11. ashokbhatia says:

Captivating, as always!

12. It’s amazing what you can do with an eraser. Love the puffs of spray coming off the breaking waves. Beautiful work Mary!

I’m there! Flying above the wild sea! Fantastic rendition Mary!

14. dsaquarelles says:

It’s magic! it ‘s fascinating what you create with the pencils!

15. ĽAdelaide says:

This is so fabulous, Mary… It’s like I’m there with the birds. 😉

You never disappoint, Mary 🙂

17. sefeniak says:

Strands of Silk is a beauty! I can hear the gulls cry.

18. Trini says: