Artists Who Inspire – Introducing Gloria Ester

Happy New Year – it’s great to be back creating and blogging again.  I hope this finds each of you well, I can’t wait to check out your latest posts and see what’s new.

I thought it would be fun to start the new year by introducing you to an awesome artist, Gloria Ester whom I’ve known for about three years through PMP (paint my photo website).  Gloria’s formed habits are what discipline and dedication looks like – when she says she’s doing a 10-minute painting a day for 365-days or a painting a day for 30-days, she does it and with amazing results.  My respect and profound admiration continues to grow for this talented artist.

Below is an interview I recently conducted with Gloria, hope you take a few minutes to learn a little about her and please do check out her new WordPress Blog, Gloria Ester.

How long have you been an artist and what training have you received?
I’ve been painting a little over 10 years.  I first ventured into the art world with a cheap set of paints, brushes, and a piece of cardboard to paint on, my first results weren’t half bad.  I had always admired famous paintings in books when I was younger, but not until that moment did it ever occur to me that I might be able to create art like that and become an artist myself.  I then purchased better quality paints, brushes and canvas….and the rest is history.

I’ve never had any kind of training, although, I have watched artists on television, especially Jerry Yarnell of which I learned quite a bit.  Apart from that, I am mostly self-taught, I still need a lot to learn though.

What medium do you specialize in and tools used in your studio?
I specialize in acrylics, although, I really want to learn oils as well. I also work with regular inexpensive brushes, an easel, a plastic box container to keep my paints wet, and palette knives.

How do you push your creative envelope and keep things fresh?  What subjects appeal to you? Do you see a finished painting in your minds-eye before you start – in other word do you visualize before or just let things flow on its natural course as you paint?
I love to work on challenges, even though they can be stressful at times.  I have also started working on series paintings (like cottages), that way I always have something to paint and don’t have to worry about spending hours thinking of what to paint next.

First and foremost, I have a deep love for still-lifes, regardless of the subject, something about them that really captures my attention and makes me want to paint them. When it comes to 10 minute paintings, my favorites to work on are mountain scenes.

I always have an idea of how I’d like my finished paintings to turn out, they usually don’t end up turning out the way I imagined though.

You have a discipline that has been incredible to witness like 10-minute painting for 365 days and 30-paintings in 30 days.  How did you get started doing both?  What changes in your art and approach to your art occurred as a result from these efforts?  Where does this discipline and focus come from?
I chose the 10-minute challenge in the hopes it would help me loosen up on my art, therefore making it more enjoyable.  Painting seemed to be more stressful than fun at first because I wanted it to be perfect just like the photo.  I started with the 30 paintings in 30 days last year after another artist asked if anyone would like to join her in that challenge for the month of October.  I was really curious if I’d be able to complete it so I decided to join in and ended up creating 30 palette knife paintings on 11 x 14 canvases.

Working on those challenges really did help in loosening up my art and giving me much more confidence.  I now feel more comfortable creating my own compositions and leaving paintings much more impressionistic, which is what I was hoping for.

How do you want to see your art evolve?
I still feel I need a lot to learn to get to where I want to be.  I really want to learn how to create artwork with extreme emphasis on light and shadow, it is something I struggle with at the moment. I also would like to work on being more impressionistic and freer with my art, and to be able to paint and create compositions without depending so much on reference photos. These are my main goals and hope one day I will become the artist I’m working so hard to be.

Thank you for this lovely interview, I enjoyed answering all your questions.

Loved learning more about you Gloria,

all the best as you continue your artistic journey!

This entry was posted in Artists Who Inspire, Posts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Artists Who Inspire – Introducing Gloria Ester

1. Pingback: Gloria Ester, Artist – 10-minute Paintings in Her 30-Day Challenge | Oil Pastels by Mary

2. Marcus Case says:

And warmest wishes for a good New Year to you, too!

3. Pingback: My First Art Interview | A Day In The Life Of Gloria Ester

All the best for 2015. You and Gloria are so amazingly disciplined and creative.

5. ladyfi says:

Welcome back to a new year full of possibilities.

6. So great to see you back Mary! Happy New Year to you, hope you had a wonderful and fulfilling holiday season and you’re ready to take on the year of 2015! What a lovely way to start the year, love the artist you introduced to us, she is as much disciplined as you are and she has developed a specific style by which her work can be recognized. Looking forward to see what you have in your mind for this year! Once again, glad to see you back!

Hi Eva, Happy New Year to you! Thank you so much, it’s great to be back and with the creative bug ~ there are several projects that I’m anxious to get underway. Managed a few charcoal drawings while on break that I’ll post soon. It was good to stay in the flow somewhat. Glad you enjoyed the interview with Gloria, isn’t she something?! Hope you are well, I look forward to catching up.

• Gloria Ester says:

Thanks so much for the kind words about my art. 🙂

7. Gloria Ester says:

Thank you so very much for all your lovely and kind words about me and my art. Glad I could inspire some of you. 😀 Thanks so much for giving me the opportunity to discuss my art with everyone Mary. You’re a beautiful soul. 🙂

Thank you Gloria it was a real pleasure introducing you, so others may enjoy your creative treasures. All the best for a creative and rewarding 2015!

8. Anonymous says:

Happy New Year Mary! I’ve been awaiting your return with great expectation. Gloria is a wonderful artist! How nice of you to showcase her talents. Hope your holidays were wonderful.

Happy New Year!! Thank you I’m anxious to get back to painting – I did a few drawings that will be posted, stay tuned. Gloria’s great right? I love her work and enthusiasm for stretching the envelop, it’s inspiring. Holidays were quiet and beautiful – I hope yours were wonderful as well.

• Gloria Ester says:

Thanks so much, glad you liked my work. 🙂

9. Nice to see you again, Mary. Happy New Year to you and to everyone here. May 2015 be very creative for all of us.

Hi Evelyne, so great to see you again – Happy New Year to you and your family. Can’t wait to catch up on all your blog posts and see what you’ve been up to. Best wishes for new writing projects and inspiration ~

10. Hi, Mary – Happy New Year!!! I hope you have a beautiful and very creative 2015!
    Thank you for introducing talented Gloria. It was a pleasure seeing her work and reading her interview. 🙂

11. Thanks for the thoughtful interview. And, Happy, Creative New Year!

Hi Elena – Happy New Year to you and your family as well! Thank you so much – she’s a wonderfully talented young woman finding her way in the blogging world. I wish you the best this year in all your creativity – you are a great inspiration to me and many other artists out there.

Mary ! How lovely to see you back . Happy new year .. am glad to hear how you’ve enjoyed your blogging break over the holidays .. will be looking to see what you’ve been up to on the painting front 😉
    About to check out Gloria’s work !

Hi Poppy so great to hear from you – Happy New Year to you and your family as well. The break was good, I made real progress on my to-do list, but I’m going to have to hustle this week if I want most of it cleared off – but then again, most those to-do lists are never really over, right! I do have a few things to post- looking forward to see what you’ve been up to.

I sometimes wonder… could I? should I? but maybe I’m better with words. 🙂

14. Great introduction Mary. It’s very helpful for finding people who share your interests. I am experimenting with acrylic paints too. Nothing I want to share yet. 🙂 The 10 minute challenges sound interesting. Looking forward to viewing her blog too.

Thank you Beth and so glad you enjoyed the introduction – I love her work, tenacity and determination. Her cottage series is incredible work with a painters knife.

15. Leya says:

Happy and inspiring New Year to you and yours, Mary! hope you had a wonderful break to recharge. The lady introduced seems to be very, very disciplined and talented… Thank you for telling about her. Now we are waiting for your new projects!

16. Happy New Year, Mary. I love this post, especially the 10-minute challenge. I may pick up a brush again.

Thank you so much Catherine – Happy New Year to you as well. Gloria inspires me every day, very cool to think she is working her magic with someone else too!

17. What a great way to start the year! I enjoyed visiting Gloria’s blog, and know I will be back. I hope you had a really re-creative” hiatus” (that’s what the movie stars call it when they’re between gigs) and will be rich with new inspiration to delight us in the coming year…hope it will be filled with peace, and joy.

Ah my friend Cynthia – so wonderful to see you again (can’t wait to read [hear] your posts I’ve missed). Happy New Year to you, so glad you enjoyed meeting Gloria – she’s a beautiful young lady and artist, you’ll love getting to know her. It was so great taking time away from art, not totally as you’ll see and learn in upcoming posts, but enough so that I’m anxious to begin painting. Special wishes to you for a wonderful 2015.

18. aFrankAngle says:

Happy New Year to you and yours … Hope your blog break and holiday went well. Meanwhile, Gloria seems incredibly disciplined …. so a toast for that! Good to see you posting again!

19. Lee says:

Gloria Ester blog now has a new subscriber. Looking forward to viewing her blog. Thanks for posting the link.

20. niasunset says:

Happy New Year dear Mary, it is so nice to see you back. Thank you for this introduction. Love, nia