5-Day Art Challenge – Day 2

Day 2

Day 2

I’ve received challenges from two separate great bloggers and thought, okay it’s time for me to join in the fun.  The challenges are slightly different, but my drawings will accomplish the goal for both challenges.

#1 I was tagged to do a 3-pieces of art a day for 5-days, Art Challenge, by Tim Livingston at The Forester Artist.  Tim is an incredible artist, you will enjoy what you find at his blog.  I decided to accept the challenge.

#2 Next I was tagged to participate in a 5-day B&W challenge, by posting one new B&W each day.  Sylvia of Anotherdaytoparadise. I’m accepting this challenge by combining with Tim’s 3-pieces of art a day for 5 days.  Sylvia has the most incredible photography that I think you’ll appreciate the awesome subjects she captures with her lens.

Day 2 – my three drawings today concentrated on similar values, light and reflections.  Each piece was done in charcoal measuring 5×7.  Don’t laugh at my results now – as I don’t draw or paint fast, today I imposed up to a half-hour limit for each drawing in the challenge(s)  – my personal objective is to see the subject more as forms and values than anything else, so I expect perspective and technicals to be off.   Click onto the image for a larger view.

I would love to see brushespapers join in on the challenge.  Her blog is, brushespapers she’s an incredible artist specializing in Chinese painting, stays disciplined to her artistry by painting and drawing everyday – her collection is awesome.

This entry was posted in Drawings, Posts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to 5-Day Art Challenge – Day 2

1. Lots of work, but if anyone can do it…:)

2. OK this one goes for “it’s all about the MUG”! Love the strong contrasting! Keep going Mary, this is very exiting and interesting to follow!

Thank you Eva, yes I think that the mug is getting some attention and just as you say, all about the contrast. Again, the sun was killing me in the office, constantly changing directions – no sooner that I would look up it had moved again! Thank you for following this challenge ~ it has been a lot of fun!

3. Thank you Mary. I accept the challenge. 😄

I am more than thrilled – love your work and can’t wait to see what you produce!! I’m swimming in charcoal dust and coughing up a storm ~

4. I adore hats, Mary, as the hat I’m wearing on my about me page will testify to. These are wonderful. 🙂

Hi Elizabeth, thank you so much for your thoughtful comment – love that hats speak to you. I think they carry a lot of personality, so this is very cool and I’m going back to you about page to check it out!! Have a beautiful weekend!

5. aFrankAngle says:

Charcoal is the great way to express the mug with the shadow.m:)

6. These are really good, Mary. I also love those hats, and the drip off the spoon is so clever. 🙂

I love the hats! Different hats may have different stories… 🙂

8. Lovely light, Miss Mary, in these works.

Big Hugs

uncle john

The hats are my fav too but I must say the glass bottles from the first day are a close tie! Love the spoon too! What could be dripping off? Is it honey for tea in your mug?

Thanks Rhonda, the charcoal was interesting to use on the hats the way I was able to drag it on the surface worked real well for the ribbons/bows. The spoon is a favorite of mine (dripping raspberry, but in B&W it can be whatever you’d like!).

10. Francesca says:

I love the 3 hats! Very special!

11. Lee says:

5-day B&W challenge sounds very interesting. I know you are up for it.

Hi Lee, thank you so much for your support and encouragement. Hopefully the results won’t disappoint! BTW, your comment went to spam ~ my notifications have been acting up these last couple of days. Thanks again!

12. Okay, I’m very much a fan of the spoon with the “motion” you captured with the drip! Also, those hats. Now to some those might be just hats on a rack, but you’ve got me wondering and imagining about the owners of those hats. The first hat seems to me to be the “medium” hat…owned by perhaps a teen being schooled in the ways of the world by her mother but not very into it yet. The second hat has to be the mother’s hat…..it shows that its owner is comfortable where she is and while not needing to impress anyone she’s just out to protect her skin and preserve her own comfort. The third hat looks the newest to me. So I see this belonging to an older child or pre-teen. She wants to fit in and she exerts much effort into taking care of the hat that gives her something in common with her older sister and mother. She looks forward to the day she grows up to be like them. How’s that for some artistic interpretation, huh? 🙂

Well now A! you’ve given me the whole story and much more to consider – really enjoyed where you took the drawings (that’s why you are a writer!). Love your comment and feedback, takes me to a new place while producing the drawings this week. Until tomorrow . . . thanks very much for your active participation and encouragement.