Thursday’s Drawing – Grand Slam #2

Here we are again and Thursday’s drawing is coming along .  .  . leaving the drawing alone for a week, gave me some time to consider the back line of the trees and how they were going to fit into the overall scene.  I felt like the trees were encroaching on what will become the massive wave/splash and didn’t want to take away from the focal point.

Grand Slam, #2 update – charcoal, graphite and carbon drawing (9×12) is being drawn on Strathmore Bristol Vellum paper.  I don’t much like this paper for heavy applications of charcoal, because the texture is limited, so I may have to resort to spraying some fixative on the trees to develop them further.

This week the trees (drawn in charcoal) were knocked back on the right-side, some definition were given to them but for now the trees will be left alone until after the large splash/wave is completed, because I need some perspective of what the viewer will see once the water goes in.  The boulders to the left and bottom of the scene were drawn in with graphite giving them a reflective quality, more values have to be worked on the entire mass of rocks, but again I want to wait until the water is drawn that will allow me to start wrapping the water around the middle rocks.  I may close in the bottom left-hand corner of the rocks so they all connect – again I’ll wait and see but I’m leaning toward this change.

I love drawing rocks and could do this all day without a clue how much time has flown by, ops I see several areas to change with the rocks, but until next week.  I think I’ll let it set for a while – the rocks will just keep on talking.  Click onto the image for a larger view.

Grand Slam, #2

Grand Slam, #2

DON’T TAKE MY IMAGES!!   MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.
PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE MY IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.

This entry was posted in Drawings, Thursday Drawings. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Thursday’s Drawing – Grand Slam #2

1. I of July says:

love the detail… it amazes me every time how you can begin with a blank page/canvas and end up with something like this… maybe that will be answered in the future using an fMRI 🙂

2. You’re definitely a rock star! Nice work 🙂

3. So true that a little time away from a piece can bring get perspective. Looking great:)

Thanks Elena – I almost touched it again today, but held back and will have fresh eyes on Thursday. Thanks for checking in on the piece.

4. Your drawings of the rocks is incredible…impeccable lines and formations! Wonderful!

Thank you so much – still working on them. This coming Thursday will show a lot of change with the scene. Thanks for your nice feedback!

5. Anonymous says:

This is a very interesting perspective Mary. Are we looking down? It is like a puzzle and I love trying to figure out what’s coming next. Your patience is outstanding! Have a great weekend!

Great comment – yes and no. All will magically come together when the right side meets the left, and the swirling water splashing up to the rocks and shoreline. I love this part of part, the anticipation of what’s to come ~ have a wonderful weekend too!

6. Good progress Mary. Love your rocks as well, beautiful textures developing, hard, soft and liquid, hardly can wait to see all those details! Have a wonderful weekend!

Thanks Eva – I’ve already made a few noticeable changes (so funny, it never shuts down). This one takes a little time to think through the order of areas to be worked on – I love that, to me it’s like a puzzle. The water will be so much fun to develop from the back area straight through to the big splash! Thanks again Eva – have a beautiful weekend ~

7. aFrankAngle says:

A mild abstract of a half-eaten donut? … 😉 … Just kidding … One thing that is indisputable, … you work at it! Cheers to that! Clink!

Hi Frank – couldn’t resist, I’ve already made noticeable changes, ha!. Thanks and a half-eaten donut sounds good to me, lol. Don’t know how else to do it, except dig right in.

8. You work hard at your craft, Miss Mary, and clearly it pays off.

uncle john

9. So much work and thought has gone into this one drawing, Mary. I’m very impressed with what you’ve achieved so far. 🙂

Thanks Sylvia! I’ve already been changing a few things and gathering more ideas to work the piece out. Thanks for sticking with the drawing project.

10. lulu says:

Sometimes things get better when we leave them alone for a bit. Rocks and trees have such great texture for art interpretation.

Love your comment Lulu. You are so right and which is why I really like my Thursday Drawing projects, enough time goes by where I can see the piece differently and changes kind of take on a world of their own.

11. I find all this fascinating (as I’ve said before) – especially the layering involved. I’d always thought artists just set to and kind of slathered away ! 🙂