Continuing on with this challenge – a complicated rose reference photograph was selected, and oh my I should have simplified the components in the painting and taken everything out except the large middle rose. I’ll do that the next time if I paint this particular scene again, I was just thrilled to get a rose painting under my belt.
#8, Roses Close-Up is an oil pastel (8×10) painted on cream tinted Mi-Teintes Pastel Paper using mainly Senneliers, Mungyo-Gallery and Holbeins. No underpainting was used because the paper couldn’t tolerate it so to get as thin layers as possible for spreading, smoothing and blending the OPs I put OPs onto a piece of foam pipe insulation and then scrubbed and spread it onto the surface. It actually looked like watercolor, it was very cool and was a nice way to get thin layers without filling up the tooth too quickly.
My main objective in painting this was to confront my intimation of painting roses because of the many layers of petals (our David Austins have 120 petals!) – so this was a great practice exercise. There are lots of areas for improvement, but I finally gave roses a try and will do more now that the first is done – using a couple of my own roses for the subject.
Thanks for checking in on this challenge – click onto the image for a larger view.
DON’T TAKE MY IMAGES!! MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.
PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE MY IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.