15 Paintings Challenge – Flowers: Sweet Pea at Window, #10

I really enjoyed painting this scene – it was an arrangement that allowed for exploring all types of pinks, magenta and violet, along with varying textures.

#10 Sweet Pea at Window is an oil pastel (12×9) on a gessoed prepared Ampersand Board (love this surface).  The painting started with an acrylic underpainting that was sealed with two coats of gesso applied thick with a brush for textured lines.  Once the gesso dried the fun began – loved painting the scene.  I have very few paintings with pinks and wow I just let loose layering on the colors of the Sweet Pea.

It’s a bit crisper in person – but I think you have a good idea of what it looks like.  Click onto the image for a larger view.

Sweet Pea at Window, #10 with text

The painting was based on a reference image from Wetcanvas library.

DON’T TAKE MY IMAGES!! MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.
PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE MY IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.

This entry was posted in Challenges: Subject Matter Studies, Flowers, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to 15 Paintings Challenge – Flowers: Sweet Pea at Window, #10

1. Another beauty, Mary. I really like this painting.

2. Madhu says:

Beautiful, glorious pinks Mary! Love the treatment of the glass vase as well.

Thank you Madhu for your generous comment. The vase was really exciting to watch develop, thanks for mentioning. Have a great weekend.

Your sweet peas are having a job to keep their exuberance in the vase Mary … how lovely these are set against the window light with those nice dreamy flounces of petals 🙂

Hi Poppy, thank you so much – I really did love painting this one. I was a bit intimidated to do the petals, but using a clay shaper was awesome and the development went a lot easier than I thought it would. Loved working with the light in this painting, thank you for mentioning.

4. aFrankAngle says:

A fresh palate of colors. 🙂

5. I of July says:

your hands always create wonders 🙂 so good

6. ladyfi says:

So lovely – I can almost smell it from here…

7. lesliepaints says:

The light is so beautiful in this! There is a softness in the textures of the flowers that makes me want to reach out and just lightly touch them. Good one, Mary!

8. Beautiful painting, Mary. I just love sweet peas.

9. Me says:

Moody, soft, gorgeous

10. Fresh, soft, joyful and innocent, love the pinks! It emanates so much joy and happiness, those beautiful flowers make me feel that wonderful warm light coming through the window! The entire canvass is pure joy Mary, superbly done! Have a most wonderful weekend!

Hi Eva, thanks so much for your kind feedback and comments on this painting. I had one of those runners’ high feelings as I was working on this piece – there was something about how it was coming together, hard to explain but it was there, but I could see where it was going. I’ve got to say the Amerpsand Board was an awesome surface for this piece. Glad you enjoyed the pinks, time for the elegant color of the season, and the warm light was great to build-up in this painting. Thank you and I hope this week treats you well.

• Your art Mary is the offspring of your soul and spirit. By using your tools you express, communicate, imprint yourself on the canvass and we all feel what you felt and that is such a wonderful and beautiful experience.
        Hope the week holds only the best for you!

Thank you Eva looking forward to seeing what this week unfolds in the art world, hope to be back in the studio today. Best wishes ~

11. Beautiful, Mary! and I love the colors 🙂

12. M-R says:

See how your flowers are doing with all of us ? – we love ’em ! 🙂

13. Leya says:

Lovely, Mary! Spring feeling!

14. Beautiful!! After this many paintings…I would just be painting scribbles by now 🙂 Great perseverance!!

Thank you Patrick for all your comments. The more painting flowers I’ve been doing, the more I’m finding an attraction to having flowers as a main subject. But I do miss landscapes/seascapes and soon will be following those paths.

15. Beautiful, Mary. Love all the pinks!

Such lovely soft colour! And I have a weakness for sweet peas. My stepdad always grew them behind mam’s roses in our garden. Memories of long ago as neither are still with me.

17. elisa ruland says:

I can feel your joy through every brush stroke. So beautifully perfect for spring.

Hi Elisa, thank you so much – really enjoyed your description of how you felt about the painting. I wanted to also let you know that your comments keep going into spam for some reason. Thanks again, I really appreciate hearing from you.

18. The pinks are a pleasure in this piece! Impressionistically lovely!

19. richholschuh says:

The backlighting is wonderful, Mary. Something about the asymmetrical framing of the window opening gives the impression of being serene and safe, imbuing the room’s interior with a calming grace.

Thanks Rich – this was a beautiful description of how you read the painting. Thank you very much for your generous thoughts on this piece it was a great subject to develop using oil pastels. Have a wonderful weekend finding interesting subjects for your lens to capture!

Love the pinks in the flowers and the colour of the vase sets them off perfectly.

Thank you Gallivanta. I’m so glad that you enjoyed the color theme – I wanted to get at least one flower painting in this challenge with pinks and this one seemed perfect to paint in this series. Have a beautiful weekend.

21. jvandervlugt says:

I love this painting. You’ve captured the innocent beauty of sweet peas.

22. This is beautiful and exudes the joy you felt when painting. Have a wonderful weekend. Janet:)

23. ĽAdelaide says:

This makes me happy, Mary. A wonderful expression in joy!

Thank you Linda and I’m so glad to see you – was thinking about you yesterday hoping you are well after the last episode. Love that the painting spoke to you – have a wonderful weekend.

24. Amazing transparency and radiance, Mary. Light is just perfect [as are these beautiful blooms of course]! 🙂

This one is so perfect Mary. I love the light filtering through the flowers from the window. You captured the essence of light wonderfully. Your joy in painting this piece is evident.

Thank you so much Rhonda – appreciate your feedback on the light. I was really undecided on whether to include a window frame or not, and originally was going to have a more French country theme but kept the frame very plain in the end. Hope you have a lovely weekend ~

• Painting for Joy says:

Good choice! The plain frame supports the star which is the flowers and vase! It still reads French country. Have a superb weekend!

26. This is such a joyous, painting, Mary. Love the beautiful layers of colour. 🙂

27. Wow Mary! Love this one! The colors are terrific! Love the composition too. Rita

Thank you Rita – it was one of those paintings where I was feeling it right from the underpainting. Thanks so much for your great feedback – have a wonderful weekend.

Love this painting. Beautiful shades of pink. #10 already!

29. When the artist is having a good time, the viewers have a good time too. Perfectly lovely, Mary!

30. Oh, that’s really beautiful, Mary. Nicely done! I love the colors. 🙂

31. I can actually see your “good time” in this one. It is very perky! Very much a fan of pinks here though I’m not generally prone to pinks at all…you MUST be good! 🙂

Hi A! Thank you very much for your generous comment ~ I’m thrilled that these pinks are getting your attention! I really did have a fantastic time painting this one. Thank you ~

32. The different shades of pink have blended so well to produce a soft, delicate look…wonderful ! 🙂