Private Drive, oil pastel

It’s been a few months since I’ve painted a landscape and today it just felt right to get started once again ~ as I watch the rain continue to fall here in TX.  We’ve been blessed with a tremendous amount of rainfall over the past two months – we aren’t out of the woods with our drought, but the land and lakes are refilling at a fast rate and well, it just gorgeous green tones everywhere you look.

Private Drive, an oil pastel (8×10) was painted on a gesso prepared hardboard beginning with an acrylic underpainting.  I had every intention of creating a scene that was darker and foggy, but as I started playing around with the sky adding blue and what not well before you know it – autumn was born and color took over.

Hope you are having a lovely weekend, got the last of the summer flowers and a few perennials planted yesterday ~ color is beginning to dot the landscape.

Private Drive Thank you to my friend Irini at pmp, for the inspiration that came from one of her photographs.

DON’T TAKE MY IMAGES!! MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.
PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE MY IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Private Drive, oil pastel

1. elisa ruland says:

Oooh, I love the colors in this piece…and always I’m drawn to that curve in the road. I’ve read about your rain, lots!

Thanks Elisa – an unplanned painting that was a great afternoon of fun, especially with the autumn colors and atmosphere of the place. Oh the rain is incredible, we got another 3-4″ last night w/ just as much plus severe storms still in the forecast for the rest of this week – most lakes are back to 100% here in North TX, well the majority (some flooding too). It s good thing though ~

2. I of July says:

I want to fill my house with your paintings some day 🙂

3. I can’t think how I missed this one, Mary. It’s a great piece. I especially love the tree on the right…seems to be half in the darker shadows and half in the light….seems about right for your take on the weather right now and also mimics how I’m feeling about where I’m at in my new life right now……still partially affected by the shadows, but definitely basking in the new light more and more. I’m so glad to see you working in such vibrant tones lately. Vibrant meaning teeming with life and not necessarily bold, if you know what I mean.

Hi A! Thanks very much – I love how you’ve looked at the elements of the painting, as mirrors of your life. Really appreciate your generous comments and feedback. Have a lovely weekend exploring new sights and sounds ~

4. I always love to follow an artist’s path:)

5. Susan Feniak says:

I want to go for a walk along that drive just to see where it takes me! Lovely

6. Pretty landscape, Mary. Like how your painting moves from darker tones to blue skies. Glad you’re getting the rain so needed.

7. Good morning, Mary. I really love this image…it expresses what you have just said in words. I can see your excitement as rain brings new life to Texas.
    Many people complain about rain, but I love it:) Given that I live in the UK that’s probably a good thing:)
    Janet.

Thank you Janet – one of those quiet scenes that I was attracted too. Ah the rain, well it seems we will be getting much more from now until the end of May – so unusual for North TX. The lakes are flush with water many hitting flood stages – they were drying up quickly (50% capacity) until these past two months. We’ll take record the breaking rains ~

… walking from shadow into the light … seems we are all curious to pad along that path …
    you’ve created a most lovely atmospheric scene once again with your pastels Mary !

Thank you Poppy – I’m thinking that we should all gather together and take the short walk to explore what lies beyond.

9. This is so beautiful, Mary. I am impressed with the amount of art you are creating lately. You are inspiring me to get busy! 🙂

Thank you Janell – I seem to be getting the painting bug these days, I may slow down a bit in the coming days. Have an awesome week ~

10. ladyfi says:

Love those autumnal colours.

11. Delicious piece of work, Mary!

12. aFrankAngle says:

A private drive always has an air of mystery … and even in the beautiful collection of colors, I still wonder what is back there.

13. Madhu says:

It is fabulous Mary!. I am sure the dark, foggy version would have been equally beautiful, but I am glad you got persuaded to take the vibrant path 🙂

Thank you Madhu – oil pastels are a vibrant medium and it takes a lot to tame them down. So it didn’t surprise when they took me on a different path, but did enjoy working the scene as autumn.

14. Rich and dynamic, Miss Mary, and yet with a strong air of tranquility

Big Hugs

uncle john

15. Ah, Mary this is so beautiful. I can see exactly how color took over – after all, who are we to say no! 😉 Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and have a wonderful week ahead! 🙂

Thank you so much Marina – love your feedback, you know your colors!! Thank for the week wishes and hope you have a lovely one as well, all my best ~

16. mihrank says:

incredible and magic….

17. Resa says:

The painting is gorgeous , very appealing indeed!
    Mary, I’m so happy to hear of the rain! The drought sounds awful, but it seems like it’s turning around! Here’s to you and the beauty of nature you paint!
    Cheers, Resa

Thanks Resa – appreciate it!! Still raining and expect most of the week coming, which is so unlike North TX this time of the year.

18. Gloria Ester says:

Beautiful painting. I’d love walking down that road.

19. Stefano says:

It’s beautifully mysterious, Mary! I love it! 🙂

20. I wonder what’s at the end of this road….something pleasant, I think, by the feeling this painting evokes….

Thank you Cynthia – I think I’m going with you and we’ll figure out were the road leads!! Have a wonderful week ahead.

21. Sometimes you can’t control the muse.