Lily Pond, oil pastel

In my stock pile of painting papers I came across an odd size medium-blue cardstock paper and thought, what am I going to do with this?  Well it turns out that the paper was actually perfect for my latest painting .  .  .

Lily Pond, an oil pastel (12×4) is painted on a medium-blue, heavy textured cardstock paper.  The richness of colors, big lily pads and depth of water reflections were an awesome combination to work with in this scene.  Wish you could see the variety of blues from rich Indigo, to ultramarine, to sapphire and cobalt that went into developing the water and reflections.  I used mainly Holbein OPs because each color comes in a range of values allowing the artist to keep the colors pure without having to resort to blending which would dull the color.  A variety of Senneliers were handy for this same reason.  To get the thick strokes with the lily petals I used a painters knife scraping the OPs stick and layering the paint on for a heavy-textured look.

It’s a bit sharper in person, sorry about my camera work ~

Lily Pond The reference scene was from Robyn Lovelock, an awesome artist and photographer from pmp.

DON’T TAKE MY IMAGES!! MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.
PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE MY IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

113 Responses to Lily Pond, oil pastel

1. Looks gorgeous on my screen, and it must be truly amazing in person.

2. elisa ruland says:

I love the blues. Does the color of the card stock affect the overall depth of the painting?

Thanks Elisa – yeah those blues were great to develop. You are so right, the medium blue cardstock created the backdrop for a deep, rich feel to the piece – great observation.

3. Gorgeous 🙂 Well Done!

4. Beautiful! Really enjoying seeing all of your fabulous paintings.

5. Beautiful colors! Nice work!~Rita

6. I of July says:

you’re unbeatable… every time I look at your paintings, I can’t help but wonder about the brains behind them… can picture you in your watercolour palace studio 🙂

Thank you Heath – this painting was a lot of fun developing. I think working the water blues and reflections was a combination of elements that I’ve been looking forward to painting and I was lucky that this piece had it all. Thanks again ~

7. Very Beautyful…I love water lillies! ❤

8. Angie Mc says:

So cool and refreshing. I really enjoy the shape and dimensions, Mary.

Thank you Angie. Lily pads are great to paint, sometimes I see them as large and flat shapes while other times they are puffy and less round. Interesting shapes and colors fuel the imagination. Thank you ~

9. Mary, this is beautiful! Reminds me of Monet’s lily pad paintings! But I love your colors much more!! 🙂

10. MAGNY TJELTA says:

Lovely flower painting – so beautiful ! I am following your lovely blog . Have a happy day. 😊

Wonderful to meet you Magny – thank you so much for your lovely comment. You have a awesome collection of work and I’m looking forward to seeing more. Thanks again ~

11. Cecilia says:

You have a great talent, Mary, congratulations. And thank you for sharing.

12. Francesca says:

So beutiful! I love the vibrant color you picked for the lilies!

13. Ogee says:

My new favorite, Mary!

14. Beautiful painting, Mary! Brightened my day 🙂

15. aFrankAngle says:

The blues jump out at me … and in a good way. 🙂

Vibrant color Mary! This painting makes me smile.

17. Ah, Mary, how beautiful… I was also reminded of Monet’s lily pond!
    Enjoy a blossoming Wednesday, my friend. 🙂 xx

Thank you my friend Marina for your lovely compliment and thoughts . . . this scene came about very unexpected, glad I stayed with it. I hope you have a blossoming Wednesday as well filled with magical sunlight.

18. Miss Mary
    i very much appreciate the effort it takes to paint in such detail – shape, shade, choice of colours
    and tones..it’s never easy but you make it look so.

Big Hugs

uncle john

Thank you Uncle John – I truly appreciate your kind and encouraging words. It seems that when I paint it becomes a time of exploration, branching out and never sure where the muse will take me, but always anticipated knowing it will be an interesting journey.

I love this water lily painting, Mary! Gorgeous colors, just so beautiful. 🙂

20. Leanne Cole says:

Wonderful Mary, I love the splash of colour.

21. D. Parker says:

I can hear the frogs singing, that’s how perfect this painting is.
    Wonderful, Mary, can’t wait for more. 🙂

Thanks so much Donna – really appreciate your generous thoughts. I’m working on two right now both so totally different, and loving the whole process of discovery.

22. So beautiful. Your colors balance perfectly.

23. It is AMAZING, Mary! These colors (especiallytheblue and those touches of pink/red) WOW! Love it!!!

Wow, Mary! That’s as good as a photo any day 🙂 One of my absolute favourites of yours. The colours… the ripple… everything! It’s just lovely 🙂

Thank you so much Jo – you know how to make my day! I’m so glad you enjoyed this painting, the ripple was a very cool ending to the piece.

25. It’s beautiful…I loved the ripples…. 🙂

26. Perfect ripples, lovely use of the light up front that hints of the shadows to the left back side. Your reflections on the water are magnificent I think. It’s a double-sided picture almost showing us immediately what’s in/on the water and at second glance what’s above it! Love this one, Mary!

Thank you A! for your generous and thoughtful comment – the reflections are one of the most interesting aspects of this piece to create. The ripple helped give body and depth to the reflections. So glad you enjoyed the piece.

Love it all Mary … the vivid blues and the flowers … the way they are reaching up and and out of your painting … delightful ! Did the Frog Prince just make that splash 😉

So great Poppy – love that, “the Frog Prince” I’m thinking you are so right! Thank you very much, love your description – the scene was awesome to paint, especially with oil pastels and their rich boldness. Have a wonderful rest of the week!

28. I like the delicate touch in this

29. timelesslady says:

Lovely lily pond, can’t wait until they bloom on our local lakes.

Thank you so much! Lily ponds, unless on private property, are so delicate around here the TX extreme heat just makes it a miserable environment for them.

30. It is still very beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

31. Marick says:

Nice water ripples 🙂

32. Beautiful! You created a lovely moment in this peaceful painting. I too love the colors!

33. exiledprospero says:

Claude Monet would have liked these. I do.

Thank you Prospero for such a nod and compliment – means a lot. Imagine how Monet painted with his eye sight nearly gone – gives new meaning to painting forms and values, he brought success with his incredible scenes. I was just looking at his house in Giverney, pink with green trim – how appropriate for the Master.

34. Jackie says:

I love this one, Mary! The colors are beautiful. We are on the same wavelength today! 🙂

35. lulu says:

You are challenging Monet. I may like your colors even better!

36. anna77dennis says:

Gorgeous, love the colours, the red lillies and the green lily pads then the cobalt blue. Interesting too about the paper for your base, I suppose if you are inspired by the base then a great painting will follow!

Thank you Anna – had a lot of fun working the colors in this piece. I totally forgot about this piece of paper (buried in the stack) and thought how cool – I knew immediately what I was going to paint. Thanks again ~

37. Wonderful image, Mary. The colours are so vibrant, and your water looks so real. 🙂

38. I think I have mentioned before that pastel painting is not a medium I have ever become comfortable with….and so I particularly enjoy observing others who use the medium well. Beautiful:)

Thank you Janet. The difference with oil pastels and other wet mediums is that OPs are not fluid and using a blending agent will usually muddy the colors. When I use an acrylic or gouache underpainting I’m thrilled because of the freedom felt with the fluidness of those mediums.

39. Susan Feniak says:

Its gorgeous! 🙂

40. Splish! Splash! Gorgeous, Mary. I’m now feeling like a happy-go-lucky goldfish. I also love the ripples and reflections. Soothing.
    My eyes thank you for the mini-retreat!
    Theadora

41. I like that you started with a piece of blue paper….the lily pond was a perfect choice; there’s a quietness and intimacy in the close-up, and yet a feeling of expanse by the longer ‘scape. Very enjoyable to ponder this pond……

Hi Cynthia – thanks very much. You know the medium range blue paper allowed those deep blues to come alive and bringing in the lighter value Holbein sky blues hit the note. Do love your description of the scene – I could definitely see the scene much larger say 30×12. Glad you enjoyed, thank you for your generous thoughts.

Beautiful Mary. Your placement of the red flowers is perfect. I can just imagine the calmness of this beautiful pond and imagine the fish down below!

Thank you so much Rhonda – the red flowers gave the scene a bit of a punch. Glad you enjoyed the scene – I started a lily series late 2013 and had every intention of doing more. I think this year I’ll continue they were great fun to paint.

43. cmartzloff says:

I really like this. It has a refreshing feeling to it and I love how you used such rich color. Well done!

Thank you so much Catherine for your generous comments!! I let me instinct of the scene take over and had fun ~ have a wonderful week.

44. farbvielfalt says:

Well done! The format is also perfect and you give the viewer the feeling of “come here, sit down and dream into the water” 🙂 !

45. That is perfect, Mary! I love the bright colors. Well done, my friend!

46. Love all the colors, Mary. Red really pops amidst the blues and greens. Lily pads always remind me of spring!

Thanks Geralyn – there is something very exotic about lily ponds and I think it’s because of the rich colors and the big lily pads floating about.