Morning Silence, oil pastel

Sometimes we all need an escape perhaps to a beach for an early morning walk when all is quiet except the sound of water lapping at the shoreline ~

Morning Silence, an oil pastel (12×9, on an artist canvas board) was painted with just that thought in mind.Β  I started with a gouache underpainting to generate a flat feel to the scene and where appropriate let the oil pastels kick up a notch of color so what could have been a gray-fogged scene, turned into a quiet scene of sunrise colors dancing in the sky and on the shore.

Hope you enjoy the beach stroll ~ click onto the image for a larger view.

Morning Silence My interpretation of a reference image taken by Rose Herczeg, an artist and photographer with pmp.

DON’T TAKE MY IMAGES!! MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.
PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE MY IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

97 Responses to Morning Silence, oil pastel

1. Madhu says:

Serenely beautiful!

2. Oh yes. I want to be there. Lovely.

3. Janice Wald says:

Hi Mary,
    Thank you for your visit to my site today; I am glad you liked my post about how to find and maintain a niche.
    Janice

4. Orpheus Eye says:

that’s incredible!

It would be a joy to be strolling on that beach, Mary, and watching those clouds. It’s beautiful. πŸ™‚

Thank you Jo – just imagine the great shots you could capture on this walk. Happy Monday to you and looking forward to seeing where you take us today!

6. Stunning colours, definitely has a ‘morning’ feel to it!

7. lesliepaints says:

I just had to enlarge this to find all those little figures in the fog, back there. Wonderful, Mary!

8. ladyfi says:

How very beautiful!

9. Arts & Rhymes says:

Wow, this is gorgeous Mary! I love the color palette, blues and oranges have always been my favorite combination. Love the sky reflecting in the water! ❀

10. I of July says:

beautiful couple walking on the beach too… beautiful, quiet, colourful… achieved everything you set out to with this, I think πŸ™‚

This is my favorite so far of all your beautiful art! I love the impressionistic feel and the quality of the colors. Very beautiful indeed Mary. Love it.

Love your comment and compliment Rhonda – it was a wonderful scene to develop with oil pastels. I was surprised how many layers it took to develop the colors (almost scraped the whole sky off, but kept with it – glad I did) and finally the feel started to approach what I was hoping for. Thanks so much my friend.

12. anna77dennis says:

I love the atmosphere you created, it reminds me of many walks along the beach!

13. Mary, this is so peaceful! Wonderful painting. Wish I was walking on that beach right now.

Thank you Janell – I wish I was there too right about now. Perhaps we should all get together and meet at this place and have ourselves a great discussion about the specialness of the scene.

14. This would be such an invigorating walk, first thing in the morning. It would also put your day into perspective. Just wonderful.

15. Beautiful Mary, its like Im there! Love the colors πŸ™‚

16. This is so lovely, Mary. You’ve captured the feeling beautifully. πŸ™‚

Thanks so much Sylvia! I really love the European beaches you’ve been visiting on your trip – this is a little reminder of the East Coast in the US just waiting for your return.

17. Soothing and peaceful… delicate use of colors… nice one, Mary… πŸ™‚

18. Tammy says:

This is lovely, Mary! I especially love the lost edges and the glorious color palette.

Thank you Tammy really appreciate your call-out of the edges, they gave weight to the morning fog burning off and the colors – kept right on developing with each layer of OPs. It was a fun piece to do because of both aspects, thanks for your awesome feedback.

19. Heidi Hjort says:

The arrangement of the clouds create a great space and depth in your painting. Lovely and peaceful work, Mary.

Thank you Heidi – I really enjoyed working the clouds, they took a bit of time with multiple layers of oil pastels. Thanks very much for mentioning them.

20. Since I can’t escape to the beach right now I’ll let your painting take me away for a few minutes. I’ve been out for a walk (or run) on a quiet morning and it’s so peaceful. Thanks for the quick get away!

Thank you Geralyn – it is a great compliment to know that the scene takes you to good place. Walk or run, the beach is waiting for you ~

Yes, 5 stars!! dancing in the sky and on the shore– love, love it. Thank you, Mary! πŸ™‚

22. Francesca says:

This is such a beautiful scene, Mary! The colors are gorgeous!

Thank you so much Francesca – there’s a sense of calm when we see soft-colored sunrises at the beach. Have a wonderful and “delicious” week ahead!

23. aFrankAngle says:

A delightful stroll .. and the touch of orange sky makes it for me.

24. ladyfi says:

Wow – simply gorgeous!

25. Jackie says:

A beautiful painting and a beautiful way to start the day. πŸ™‚

26. Beautiful, Mary! Love the colors πŸ™‚

A beautiful time to be at the beach.

28. Oh….I like it!
    Beautiful and atmospheric, Mary!
    LG Rosie

29. What I love about this image is that you have captured a moment and definitely that wonderful feeling when walking along a quiet beach. It immediately brought some very happy memories to me. Beautiful. Janet

30. Marcus Case says:

Wonderful, and with such resonance for me. Thank you.

31. A beautiful scene….I like the tiny little people walking along….

Thanks Cynthia – a reminder of our first few days after we relocated to Maine, an atmosphere that lives in my mind today. So you like the people? Painting people on the beach always intimidated me – this time I just went for slight figures and it seemed to work. And if you look real close you’ll see them way out in the distance – couldn’t resist! Thanks for mentioning ~

32. Beautiful and atmospheric, Mary!

33. Oh, how I’d love to be strolling along that beach right now. Beautiful, Mary! I love the sky.

You and I both Jill – just to feel the warming, slight misty breeze and quiet sound of the water. Yeah, I’ll join you for the walk. Thanks very much!

34. Your work is just beautiful Mary. You have created softness and peace.

35. M-R says:

Lovely, lovely … This would make anyone go down to the sea … πŸ™‚

Love hearing from you M.R. thank you – I’m glad it spoke to you. So that means you need to get to the beach to enjoy a little solitude as you continue working through your new site.

36. Marick says:

Sooooo peΓ’ceful. I`ve been here before. Doesn`t matter where it is. Just, I`ve been here.

37. exiledprospero says:

Disappearing into a faint simulacrum of being…

Thank you Prospero, love it – yes as I was painting the scene it took me back to my days in Maine when we would encounter this type of atmosphere so often in the early morning hours on the beach. Beautiful description, just love your wording ~

38. Love the hints of people in the distance….gives a feeling of being set apart and yet still connected.

Thank you A! So you noticed the people – love your description and feedback on including them, a touch of life enjoying the sea.

39. Jess says:

Beautiful work Mary! Love the soft colors and how they seem to transition form one to another.

Thanks Jess – so glad you enjoyed it. My favorite part of this painting was working those colors into the soft atmosphere, OPs are great for that look.

40. Nice work Mary! Very peaceful scene. ~Rita

41. roseherczeg says:

Dear Mary, thank you SO much for choosing my photograph to paint! I love it! Wish I had more time to paint.. hopefully in July! Thank you again!

Thank you Rose, so glad you liked the outcome. It was an awesome scene to work with in oil pastels, I’ve been wanting to paint it for the longest time ~ you’ll paint again once life settles down, and I’m looking forward to it. Thanks again my friend.

42. Nicodemas says:

I love early mornings on the beach! This is so beautiful!

43. Delicious piece of work, Mary!