Private Beach Path, oil pastel

Today it’s time to go to the beach and in this case, it’s private and you’re my guest .  .  .

Private Beach Path, an oil pastel (9×12) was painted on cream tinted Mi-Teintes Pastel paper with mostly Senneliers, Mungyo-Gallery and Holbein brand oil pastels.  The painting was started several days ago and because the paint was applied in thick layers it needed to harden slightly in order to allow for additional layers.  In this scene large areas were scraped down and re-applied for certain colors and “patterns” effect – very cool process to do, just take a razor blade and have at it.

Our temperatures in TX have been turned up, summer is nearly here and I thought it would be a good way to cool down with a bit of sea-breeze as we walk the beaten path  .  .  .  if you listen closely you might hear the Beach Boys playing in the background!!  Click onto the image for a larger view ~

Private Beach Path My interpretation of a reference photograph by Beverly Reid of pmp.

DON’T TAKE MY IMAGES!! MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.
PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE MY IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

137 Responses to Private Beach Path, oil pastel

1. Looks just like my favorite oceanside path. Thank you:)

Thank you so much Elena. I’ve been enjoying painting the beach, as I’m trying to get a better grasp of painting sand and dune grass – lets just say it’s work in progress!!

2. Simply enchanting! ❤

3. Have a wonderful summer xo

4. dsaquarelles says:

I like the warm vibrant colours against the bleu of the sky! i ❤

Thank you so much Dsaquarelles – the sky had many layers of OPs, laying them in and scraping off until the softness of the clouds started coming through.

5. Amazing painting, Mary.I just wanna go to that beach so much and run and swim!!
    🙂 Have a nice break. Enjoy!

6. This is gorgeous, Mary, and perfect for higher temperatures. It’s getting warmer everywhere, so we can all enjoy!

7. Arts & Rhymes says:

Hi Mary, I nominated you for a quote challenge. Hope you can accept. Here is how it works: http://artsandrhymes.me/2015/06/11/3-day-quote-challenge-day-i/

8. That private beach looks awesome! I’m booking my vacation now.

I don’t think anyone around here would trust me with a razor blade, Mary, but it sounds like fun. 🙂 And it looks pretty good too! I’m humming Beach Boys 🙂

10. I agree with a previous commenter. This scene looks so inviting. What a great place to have a picnic!

11. Looks like an inviting pathway to the beach… 😀 wonderful… 🙂

12. Carol King says:

I would love to be walking on this path to a private beach. Beautiful.

13. Angie Mc says:

This is as close to the beach as I’m getting this summer, Mary. Thank you 😀

14. aFrankAngle says:

The path is very inviting, so I had to check it out … and the sand isn’t too hot …. well, at least not yet.

Oh, this is a good one Mary! My favorite places are beaches and you have captured this pathway to the sea so beautifully…. as always.

Thank you so much Dorann, I love beaches too – natures gift to us. I need to work on painting techniques for sand so there could be a few more paintings with this theme coming along this summer.

16. Sharon says:

I wish to be there at this moment. Really lovely, Mary. 🙂 🙂

17. I want to be there Mary!

18. Susan Feniak says:

Pretty sure you all ready know I love this one Mary!! 🙂

19. I of July says:

gee Mary, how long does it take you? you’re relentless and consistent… was looking through your catalogue and I’m wondering, have you been painting and drawing all your life?

Hi Heath, thank you so much for your nice compliment. I started painting in May of 2011 and have steadily worked at it. About 40 years ago (geez I’m dating myself) I took art in high school as a course and didn’t start to paint again until 2011.

20. This image looks so real, Mary! I feel as though I could walk down this path, feeling the sand between my toes, and then the cool surf lapping over my feet. 🙂

Thanks so much Sylvia! You’ve been seeing some pretty awesome beaches yourself these days – glad you enjoyed the painting, love your description!

The layers really work great for this painting, Mary. I love this painting, it tells the story of the lazy summer. 🙂 It’s 90 Degrees today.

22. exiledprospero says:

So real that I can almost hear pelagic birds.

You are so generous, thank you Prospero – I’m with you I can hear those birds as well. Did you know that when I paint the sea I can hear the waves and gulls, feel the breeze and warm sun? Odd right, but I do feel the scenes – nothing like it. Hello to Miss Ariel!!

23. adams art says:

Lovely capture of atmosphere well executed

24. roseherczeg says:

I can smell the sea in the air and taste the salt on my lips 🙂 Great painting, Mary.. summertime is definitely here in Florida! I think I’ll dig out my old Beach Boys CDs today!

Thank you so much Rose – glad you enjoyed the scene, I really enjoyed your description of the beach. Have a wonderful day at the shore ~

25. I can hear those beautiful Beach Boys. Beautiful painting.

26. This is gorgeous…I want to be there:) Enjoy…..

27. Paul Beech says:

Mary, I love this one especially. But no, I don’t hear beach boys. I hear the screech of black-headed gulls overhead and the kirri-kirrick chatter of little terns diving for fish beyond an old, deserted, supposedly haunted lighthouse on the beach. Your beautiful picture reminds me of Talacre Beach on the Point of Ayr, North Wales, where my wife and I had a caravan some years ago, our little foothold in the Principality.

Thank you for the trip down Memory Lane.

Paul

Hi Paul, thank you so much for your lovely comment and compliment. Okay I really do like your description of the day so much better – yes the gulls and terns, and the abandoned lighthouse. Oh this is going to be a great day at the beach. I’m so glad the scene has taken you to a special place that you and your wife enjoyed – that’s an irreplaceable compliment. Thank you!

28. ashokbhatia says:

It feels as if we are on a vacation, watching this scene from the verandah of a cottage, with a P G Wodehouse book in hand a tissue restorative by our side!

29. Lis says:

….wonderful !
    Send love greeting and wish You nice day ❤ Lis

I’ve kicked off my shoes Mary and all ready to dash down that inviting beach path … private or no 😉
    Summer colours … gorgeous.

Hi Poppy – there are quite a few of us that you will join you for that dash down the path, breaking all rules. Thanks so much – summer is arriving before you know it!

Oh, imagine having access to a private beach like that. 🙂

32. Michaela says:

Wonderful colors!

33. Beautiful, Mary. There’s so much detail in this beach scene from the marked path, grasses, sand, waves and rock. I grew up by the beach and spent many, many hours there with my family. Thanks for the memory!

Thanks so much Geralyn and so happy that the scene took you back to your childhood memories, that means a lot to me. Thanks for mentioning your feedback on the details – it’s been some time since I developed a seascape like this and was a lot of fun working those areas out.

34. Jess says:

Lovely! I especially love the gold tones in the sand.

Thanks so much Jess. Oh my that beach – well my mistake here in that I started with a awful color that wasn’t right and partially stained the surface, so it was a heck of a time trying to get a realistic hue of sand. Can’t tell you how much I appreciate your comment,my next beach scene will have some color practice prior to layering it on the surface.

35. Ogee says:

It was 105 degrees here when I drove home. You have transported me! Thank you. 🙂

Oh my 105? Please I hope it holds off here a bit longer so we can enjoy the pleasantness of 80’s and 90’s. Thanks so much and awesome that the painting gave you some imaginary relief.

36. Extra beautiful, Mary. I just looked at it for a while until I felt I was there. The surf coming in on the shore actually looked like it was moving!

Hi Cynthia, thank you so much – such a compliment to have the painting place you in the scene. Ah yes that surf is foamy, frothy and alive – just imagine walking along the shore hearing the gulls and feeling the warm sea breeze. It’s a special moment when we can enjoy the gift of nature. Have a beautiful day my friend.

37. Nicodemas says:

Yes! Ah I can feel myself walking down there right now! So very beautiful Mary.

38. I enjoy your lovely work and hearing about your process, Mary. Thank you for sharing this gorgeous scene!

39. Nice work Mary! I really like the textures you are getting with the razor blade. ~Rita

Hi Rita, Thanks so much. The razor came in handy in so many areas on this piece, besides the vegetation and ultra-thin lines, when I scraped the sky twice and beach path – it gave me enough tooth again to totally re-work those areas. Thanks again ~

Simply Divine!!!

41. Wow. Nice to have you back on here and see some colour again! Love this. What an interesting choice of foliage for a beach scene. Also, quite impressed with the cables stretching between the posts. Like the different colours on those….adds alot! And, of course, your sky on this one is divine!

Thank you A! Happy to see you as well – thank you so much for your lovely comments and feedback on the sky and colors. The beach was of a scene photographed in New Zealand, so perhaps some of the vegetation is different from what we are used to seeing. Glad you enjoyed the scene ~ (secret: the cables came about with a swipe of a razor blade w/color on it).

42. Now, isn’t this the perfect place to be?!!!!
    So happy to see your work after many days of absence!
    Beautiful, my dear Mary, just beautiful! 🙂

Hi Marina, so good to see you again ~ nothing like a stiff sea breeze, warm sun and crashing waves to take us to another place. Have a wonderful week my friend.

43. I second that. Beautiful, lovely stuff.

Thanks Laura – glad you enjoyed the scene!

• Mary, I always enjoy your work. Doesn’t matter what it is, but I do love seascapes. I’m going to try and do one myself, soonish. *fingers crossed*

Go for it – you’ll love the experience.

• Watercolor sometimes makes me wanna throw things, so we’ll see, lol. (Had one of those nights last night.) Never know how it’s gonna go! Maybe if/when I become a little more practiced. Do you ever find that with pastels?

Always, especially with oil pastels – very tough medium for layering and blending colors. The sky on this painting was scraped down twice and the beach path three times. Yes, I totally get it!!

• Wow, and look what beautiful work you wound up with!

I rinsed off my painting several times last night hehe. I’d never tried that before. Worked surprisingly well! I’m glad I’m not the only (at times) frustrated artist. Oh, and those ‘frustrated with my art’ moods can be pretty fierce lol.

44. Oh, this is beautiful, Mary! I would LOVE to be there right this second! Thanks for sharing.

45. trismoore says:

Beautiful! Absolutely love the beach!

46. Arts & Rhymes says:

Oh Mary, I’m always delighted to see your work. This piece is so beautiful! I used to live in TX years ago and I love returning from time to time; there’s just something special there for me that I can’t explain…

Thank you very much Sibella – appreciate your compliment. Where in TX did you live? It’s a great State, with so much to offer and the people are wonderful w/a bit of grit!!

• Arts & Rhymes says:

Mary, I used to live in Ft. Worth. I was there in April this year visiting some friends and attending Ft. Worth Art Festival. 🙂

How funny I used to live there as well ~ we are now outside of the city (love the city!). They do put on a great art festival.

• Arts & Rhymes says:

That’s great! They sure do a great job with the Art Festival; I love the down town area, the Sundance square, also the Water Gardens! 🙂

47. This is lovely, Mary. I sure wish I could go to the beach with you! It’s in the 100’s here this week.

Thank you Patsy – 100’s?! Wow, we haven’t hit the mark yet this year – hopefully not for a couple of weeks yet.

• You’re welcome, Mary. And yes it was in the 100’s the last few days, but yesterday we actually got a good rain! It is cloudy and a lot cooler this morning, although a little humid which is unusual for summer here. 🙂

48. seaangel4444 says: