Pea Island, oil pastel

“Pea Island is an island which is part of the Outer Banks of North Carolina” per Wikipedia ~ that’s the location of my latest oil pastel subject.

Pea Island, an oil pastel (7×15) was painted on cream tinted Mi-Teintes pastel paper using mainly Senneliers, Holbeins and Mungyo-Gallery brand OPs.  Tools used for blending and laying in the paint were my fingers, a razor blade and a painters knife.

The sand dune in the reference image looked as if it was raked through, giving it beautiful distinctive lines coming down from the top of the dune.  I recently read in Kenneth Leslie’s book “Oil Pastels:  Tools and Techniques for Today’s Artist” (here’s a link for my book review) that when painting on paper, you can create impressions by applying pressure with an instrument.  I figured why not try it for the raked sand dune using a blunted fork.  The impressions came out great, only they weren’t angled properly so I scraped them out and worked up different patterns for the dune.  If you are interested:  skim over the surface with paint leaving the impressions empty allowing you to fill them in later with paint or leave them empty of the medium.

Thanks for checking in.  Click onto the image for a larger view ~

Pea IslandThe reference image used was from Stuart Swain of pmp.

DON’T TAKE MY IMAGES!! MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.
PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE THE IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to Pea Island, oil pastel

1. Glorious color and texture. Beautiful, Mary.

2. Hi Mary, this turned out beautiful. You’ve created a serene, calm feeling with this painting.

3. A really summery feel to this image, Mary. Love it! 🙂

4. So incredible! Your work is phenomenal. My favorite is how you create a feeling of peace and strength in each of your creations. 🙂

Such a beautiful comment and compliment BB – thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Really liked your description of the scene – thank you!

5. You are a great painter and still you constantly put effort to make things better by using newer techniques…. you are really an inspiration, Mary… perfection personified… 🙂

6. Tom Donovan says:

Hey Mary – nicely done. Love how you work your materials. You are motivating me to paint a dune scene : )

Hi Tom, thanks very much – oil pastels challenge me every time I use them, the good thing is that with each painting I learn something new every time. Appreciate that you enjoyed the dune series ~ very exciting that we just might see a seascape land on your easel!

7. Both of these paintings are absolutely beautiful! I especially love the sand dune!

8. Resa says:

Love all your work in and around the sea/ocean! I have a special piece of street art coming up… soon, and it is so for you!

9. Leya says:

Exquisite, Mary. Brings back feelings of my childhood dunes. The colours are just real!

Thank you so much Ann-Christine – it means a lot to me if a painting that I do fosters pleasant memories. Have a beautiful week as you seek out the world treasures through your lens.

10. timelesslady says:

These bluffs remind me of one of my favorite places in the world…Block Island, Rhode Island. Beautiful work Mary. 🙂

Very calming and serene. As if the breezes are gently blowing and the temperature is just right. Beautiful Mary!

12. Gorgeous, and the embodiment of summer.

13. Lovely landscape Mary.

14. I can rarely find the words to describe exactly what engages me about a painting (unlike Janet!) but this painting is beautiful and I love the gentle colours.

Oh but Sarah your words are incredibly generous as I see a painting through your eyes – always making my day. I’m thrilled you enjoyed this scene and wish you an awesome week ahead.

Particularly love the contrast between the sky and dune. Also love that fingers are such important tools in your painting kit.

I’m SO glad your soft tufty dune and blue dash of ocean painting came right back off that floor Mary ! Beautiful colours here .
    Summer warmth and the promise of a picnic awaits the one who takes a run up the side and grasps the clumps to reach the top 🙂
    Have a lovely Sunday Mary x

So great Poppy – you always get it. Darn near didn’t get done (ha, beige carpet in the studio!), that was until a nice razor blade found its way in my hand and I was able to scrape and find very cool sand patterns to work with. Thank you for seeing the perspective of height and how heavy it would be to try and run up the dune. But just imagine the view and slight sea breeze ~ hope you have a wonderful week ahead!

17. What a nice feeling this painting has Mary! I really like the delicate nature of the grasses. Well done!~Rita

Creative techniques that make your paintings unique and beautiful! Thank you, Mary. 🙂

19. Leanne Cole says:

That is exquisite Mary, so delicate and the colours are wonderful.

Oh Leanne, thanks so much from someone who not only lives by the sea but photographs them in all their glory – your words mean a lot. Thank you for your beautiful thoughts on this piece.

20. Less is more….quite an accomplishment, Mary!

Totally agree Cynthia, especially in this case – the painting was stiff, with unnatural lines. My thoughts were, dunes should be a natural flow from wind and gravity not a rake. Thank you for your beautiful compliment – it was very appreciated. Have a wonderful weekend.

21. Fabio says:

Difficult job? Not for Mary! Well done!

Fabio you’ve made my day! If truth be known, about 24 hours ago my husband walked into the studio just as I sort of flung the painting to a “resting” place on the floor – of course I had to pick it up and continue. But this one almost didn’t see the light of day. Thank you for your beautiful comment.

22. Ah, how beautifully done, Mary!
    Happy weekend, my dear! 🙂

23. I’m also a huge OBX fan. Lovely work here, Mary. Love the contouring in the sand and your colors in the scrub. Definitely puts me right there. I don’t feel as homesick for the sea now. I’m really enjoying your beach scenes. 💜

24. I love the North Carolina Outer Banks and you have captured the essence of that place so beautifully in this image. I love hearing about your techniques etc….Janet:)