Thursday’s Drawing: Feeding #3

Thursday’s drawing continues on Feeding, bringing the second Willet into the scene ~

Feeding, a graphite (12×9) drawing is being done on Bristol Vellum paper.  Today I used 2H, HB, 2B and 4B, a tortilium and a kneaded eraser for blending and developing depth with the birds feathers.  A little more was done on the back (male) bird with adding in additional shading, feather markings and his legs.  The foremost bird (the female) was initially drawn and the first go-round with developing her markings and feathers (which are quieter than her male counterpart).  I can see on both birds that I need to trim both bellies, Willets bodies are a bit more slimmer – so next week we’ll put them on a diet, plus continue developing the female Willet and perhaps the start of their reflections on the wet beach.

The reference for this drawing is from a wonderful photographer and artist from pmp, Rose Herczeg.  She let me know that the birds are actually Willets and she should know, each morning she is greeted by the birds during her morning stroll on the beach where she lives.  Just imagine ~

I’m very late in getting to everyone’s blog – hope to catchup some tomorrow.  I have personal priorities that has taken up time that I would put toward painting, drawing or blogging.  In addition we’ll be going on vacation for a week shortly and then in November I have jury duty ~ I’m thinking I may not get a whole lot done over the next two months.

Thank you for checking in.  Click onto the image for a larger view of the details ~

Feeding #3

Feeding #3

This entry was posted in Drawings, Thursday Drawings. Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to Thursday’s Drawing: Feeding #3

1. Aren’t they a funny little bird. Love to see them flit down the beach!

2. Madhu says:

Love your beautiful bird couple Mary. Oh I know about personal priorities…have been desperately trying to juggle time myself these past several weeks. Enjoy your vacation.

Thanks so much Madhu, always appreciate your warm words. Your photographs of your latest trip are an incredible collection that I’ve enjoyed – love seeing the special regions of the world through your lens. Have a wonderful weekend and thank you, I’m really looking forward to our trip.

3. jvandervlugt says:

Perfect! The first bird has a partner. Again, I love the softness of the feathers. Really enjoying how this unfolds. 😊

4. Leya says:

Delicate and lovely drawn…do they really need to be put on a diet?

5. Fabio says:

Hello Mary, It is amazing to see how much care you give to your drawings, paintings, and description of your works! My congratulations for such a wonderful job! Hope you are having a great weekend. 🙂

6. I have a feeling I may have told you this before, but you’re my favorite artist here on WP! Thank you for sharing your talent. 🙂

7. The birds are taking birth through your strokes… 🙂 Beautiful…

Enjoy your vacation, Mary… 🙂

8. Your remark about their bellies really made me laugh, Mary. They look just perfect to me, but I’m not a Willet expert. 🙂 Have a great holiday. xx

Ha I was surprised that I added so much weight to these little ones Sylvia – will be putting them on a diet before too long! Thanks so much and have a great weekend.

Looking awesome! Enjoy your vacation. 😊

Thank you my friend. I was thinking about you with all the fires in CA – has your area started to recover yet? Have a wonderful weekend ~

• Painting for Joy says:

Hi Mary. In our area there is new growth appearing which is amazing to see. The forest will come back but will take years. I’ve been kind of in a funk ever since the fire. Seeing our beautiful mountain destroyed weighs on my emotions. So I’ve decided to make a painting series of the event as a healing exercise. I’ve finished the second in the series and will post it soon.

The summer was a total bust. The air was so thick with smoke it felt like we were socked in with fog. But once outside your eyes would burn and the smell was as if the fires were in our area. We just finally got back to clear skies a week ago.

Thank you for asking. It’s been a devastating wild fire year. 😞
        Have a super weekend!

Amazing how quickly the land and nature bounces back, but so tough to see the destruction. I’m looking forward to seeing the painting series – it will be history documented through your brushwork. Very sorry what you all have been going through.

10. violetski says:

Just love it! ❤️❤️❤️

So happy to see you my friend, Violet – thank you for your enthusiastic response to the drawing. Hope to see some of your beautiful paintings soon ~

11. I agree with Cynthia; this has a soft feel that I’m really enjoying, as I anticipate a beach getaway myself in the near future. Maine is so gorgeous, Mary! I can feel the softness of the foamy water in this one. It’s just outside my focus. Thanks for sharing, my friend.

12. exiledprospero says:

Will it (Willet) be done by Thanksgiving–in spite of dieting and jury duty? So far, so good. Very realistic. Incredible detail.

Hello my friend! Thank you, ah yes a diet will be in order, and jury duty – well I’ll do my best to manage through. Thank you for your generous comment on my progress so far. Have a wonderful weekend with Princess Ariel and writing projects.

13. It’s late, but I’m up for a gasp of cyber air and am so glad to see these lovely birds! The post made me smile a much-needed serene smile, as today’s viewing of El Matal left my heart sick as well as a bit of an upset stomach. It’s not pretty there, and I’m very worried. Thanks for a polar-opposite injection of positivity! Z

Thanks very much Z – so happy to see you again. I did go over to your blog, very sorry to read and see through your photo-history the destruction and damage done by El Nino and lack of leadership for shoring up the village and beach. Very sorry for all the people that are suffering.

14. Hmmm, maybe the male willet likes his lady a little filled out. 🙂 Great drawing, Mary. I’ve been busy with personal stuff as well. And we’re leaving for our big trip on Saturday. Take care.

Thanks Geralyn – I’m really enjoying the time spent drawing this particular scene. I almost forgot, you have a trip of a lifetime coming up! Have a fantastic trip and looking forward to reading about your venture ~

I love, love this drawing, Mary!! 🙂 ❤

16. Unfortunately, personal priorities have to come before the fun stuff. Great drawing, Mary!

17. Resa says:

I’m so enjoying this progression! Have a great holiday & Good on you with the Jury Duty!

Thanks Resa, really appreciate it! I’m looking forward to our time away. Yeah jury duty, can you believe it – important to serve though, so no complaints.

18. Beautiful work, Mary. Take the time you need. ❤

Thanks my friend, always appreciate you. Vacation will be spent seeing my parents and family, AND in the great State of Maine. Did I forget to tell you that I can’t wait for some fresh clam chowder, fresh fish sandwich – the ocean, etc. etc.. Need I say more?! This will be a very quick trip for us, or I would figure out just how to get together with you. Unexpected trip ~ have a great weekend.

• Have a wonderful time, Mary. When you’re on the beach, turn inland, facing the mountains a little to the northwest, and give a wave. I’ll wave back!

Thanks Cynthia – we’ll be starting in Portland, Freeport and our old stomping grounds, then making our way all the way up to Bar Harbor and then back down. You can be sure that I’ll send you one healthy and hearty wave!! Have a great weekend.

19. Marick says:

Two birds with one stone… err, I mean graphite pencil(s).

20. So good the way you fine tune your drawings and add depth – this has a soft feel to it. Lovely work.

Thank you so much and very glad you enjoyed the drawing. I’ve quite a bit to go, but finally the scene is becoming more clear to everyone. Thanks again ~