2015 Pumpkin, oil pastel

Halloween is nearly here and I couldn’t let it pass by without my annual pumpkin painting.  The brilliant colors of Autumn are always so invigorating and warm ~ a beautiful gift from nature before winter arrives.

2015 Pumpkin, an oil pastel (5×7) was painted on yellow ochre Mi-Tientes pastel paper (the smooth side).   Using a straight-edge razor and painters knife gave me some of the textures I was looking for.  Just a little fun to celebrate the season ~ click onto the image for a larger view of the details.

2015 PumpkinThe reference for this painting came from Suzanne Wallick, an awesome photographer and artist with pmp.

DON’T TAKE MY IMAGES!! MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.
PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE THE IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to 2015 Pumpkin, oil pastel

1. Beautiful and somehow comforting:, both pumpkin and bird have an air of serenity.

2. elisa ruland says:

This is fallishly festive, Mary, and so pretty. I enjoy all four seasons, but I think autumn will always have the edge. Take care!

3. Wonderful. It looks so real, I feel like I could reach out and pet the bird and pick up the pumpkin. Your artistic skills are showing ‘again.’ 🙂

4. Wonderful color and light in this one. I hope your family emergency is quickly sorted without too much pain and anxiety! Take care, Brenda

5. Francesca says:

I love this! The colors are so beautiful! What does it make this so special? That little bird of course! A perfect composition of wildlife and nature!

Hi Francesca, so great to see you. Thank you for your lovely feedback and thoughts on the painting – the bird kind of steals the show. Happy Halloween to you and I’ll bet princess will have a ball this evening!

6. Wonderful, vibrant and alive:)

7. Mona says:

Really lovely and spot on for the season. 🙂

8. What a beautiful celebration of autumn Mary! I always love your pumpkin paintings! ~Rita

Thank you Rita for your generous thoughts on my little nod to Fall! It’s a great time to celebrate the bright and colorful time of year before everything goes to sleep for the winter months.

9. Love the composition of your painting! And, of course, your pumpkins are charming.

Glad to see you back Mary! I always love your pumpkin paintings and you hit this year’s out of the park! Love the sweet birdie. The colors are yummy!!!

Hi Rhonda, thanks so much. I’m glad you enjoyed this years pumpkin scene – I probably could have gotten the oil pastel just a tad bit richer in appearance, but used the smooth side of the paper and ran out of tooth. I do love Fall colors, thanks again and hope you have a Happy Halloween my friend!

11. exiledprospero says:

As you may have guessed, I am expecting this orangey feast to be mural sized. Just the other day I heard about a two thousand pound pumpkin. Of course those birds you’ve drawn would then also have to be giant birds–pretty scary. But it’s Halloween, isn’t it?

Okay just for you Prospero, we’ll be sure to get this one in mural size. Ah yes, those extra large pumpkins are the real thing – imagine how many arms it would take to get a ring around the thing. If I was to do a mural, the bird would have to turn into a bluish crow and somewhere in the mix that old witch – yes she would be there and her broom stick!! Happy “Scary” Halloween! Thank you ~

12. As always Mary your painting is absolutely gorgeous! Your talent amazes me!

13. Susan Feniak says:

Brilliant indeed. Wonderful glorious color!!

Such glorious singing colours Mary ! Autumn gives us a real show without fail and aren’t we so glad . It is so lovely to see you back painting after recent sad events during your break x

Hello Poppy, so great to see you and can’t thank you enough for your kind words. Fall is always a wonderful time of the year – the brilliance of color, the crisp wind and smells of nature for me is the perfect way to say goodbye to one season and hello to another. I’m with you ~ very glad.

15. niasunset says:

so beautiful dear Mary, Thanks and Love, nia

16. Fine as always, Miss Mary

lots of love

uncle john

17. ladyfi says:

So wonderful and I love that little bird.

18. Arts & Rhymes says:

Gorgeous!!! 🙂

Thanks Sibella!

• Arts & Rhymes says:

You’re welcome Mary! I wanted to leave a comment on your other post where you mentioned Tepa Snow but I wasn’t able to do it, not sure why… I wanted to share that I attended her seminar a few years ago and it was excellent!

Very cool. She is very impressive and I’ll bet even more so in person – it was probably a seminar that you’ll never forget, her message is really powerful.

• Arts & Rhymes says:

She was a great presenter, very interesting and with a wealth of knowledge. I work in a senior home, not directly with residents but it helped so much understanding some behaviors I came across. We educate our nursing staff on dementia using her videos.

Teepa should be considered a national treasure – her explanations and role-plays helped me understand and recognize certain behaviors too. Great to hear another’s reaction to this fantastic woman and her message. Your work is a blessing – I can see where art and writing would be a release for you.

• Arts & Rhymes says:

Yes! She definitely is an expert! And yes, both art and writing are a great release. One day I hope to pursue it full time. For now I will also enjoy my work and people I work with and for. 😊

19. It’s a great pumpkin, and I especially love the touches of blue in the painting….my favorite complements of orange and blue!

Hi Cynthia, so glad that you noticed the touches of blue (I had a heck of a time getting a clear shot of this one). I agree with you the comps of using blue and orange – they can bring magic to a scene. In this case, just a little cooling off from all the warm and it worked. Thank you so much my friend.

20. Perfect pick for a Halloween theme! Love the vibrant orange color, it is such a happy autumn color, the little bird really grants a lovely cheerful atmosphere to the whole canvass. Wonderful and most enjoyable piece Mary makes me look forward to Halloween with a smile!

Thank you so much Eva – this was one of those scenes that seemed perfect for the Halloween season. Happy Fall and thank you for being so kind!!

21. Heartafire says:

wonderful job, i really love this!

22. This is beautiful, Mary! The little bird is the perfect touch.

23. Resa says:

I so luv your pumpkin, Mary! You have such a sweet touch.

24. Oh, Mary what a lovely pumpkin! It’s been a while since my last visit [or any visit] and it’s so nice seeing your beautiful work again. 🙂

It’s wonderful to see you again Marina – means so much that you stopped by. I worry about you and have kept you in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you and here is to celebrating the season of Autumn and all its jewels. Take care my friend.

25. Hi Mary, wonderful pumpkin painting. Love the colors and I especially love the little bird. So cute!

26. Lovely fall scene, Mary. Glad to see your paintings in my feed again. 🙂

27. Love it… happy autumn and Halloween!

28. Fabio says:

A new oil pastel by Mary? Time to stop by and enjoy the vibrant colors of the fall, and the call to enjoy the season. Well done!
    Thank you!

Ah Fabio, aren’t you suppose to be on vacation? Thank you for being so present and do love your reaction to the pumpkin season! Thank you very much ~

29. Happy Halloween, Mary! Beautiful painting! Have a great week!! 🙂

30. Jet Eliot says:

Beautiful moment in the pumpkin patch, Mary! You captured the autumn so wonderfully, I like the dried grass and bird in the foreground, and your pumpkin colors are vibrant with the season.

31. Don says:

Your Pumpkins are always so alive and vibrant, Mary. Love the little bird.

32. I always love your pumpkins, Mary, and these are no exception. I do like the addition of the little bird and though I’m not sure it was intentional, I like how the stems are pointing up (seems more positive somehow) and the bird seems so curious!

33. Lee says:

Very beautiful.

34. Marick says:

Very nice. I just bought some pumpkins, might be I’ll have to do a piece too. Welcome back to blogging! 🙂

Hi Pauline, thank you so much – glad to be back. Thought it was time to begin celebrating the season ~ looking forward to your pumpkin painting.