Thursdays Drawing – Pemaquid Lighthouse, graphite

Today’s Thursday’s drawing is a final drawing rather than a project, it was done in two sittings.  Looking for a theme of strength I thought what better than a lighthouse that has stood the test of time.

Pemaquid Lighthouse (located in the State of Maine), is a graphite and carbon (7×5) drawing done on a cream-tinted blank notecard.  The surface is textured, which added a wonderful element of interest in person, but unfortunately doesn’t photograph too well (sorry about that).  The graphite pencils used were:  2H, HB, B, 3B/4B.  Carbon (2B)  was used for the top of the lighthouse to give it a dark, non-reflective appearance.  A kneaded eraser created interesting effects in the sky and water.  Also to note that the fence was developed using negative drawing.

Thank you for checking in ~ click onto the image for a clear view of details.

Pemaquid LighthouseP.S.  Jury Duty this week was successfully completed, the trial was canceled.  My luck ~

DON’T TAKE MY IMAGES!! MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.
PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE THE IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.

This entry was posted in Drawings, Thursday Drawings and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to Thursdays Drawing – Pemaquid Lighthouse, graphite

1. A wonderful feel to this drawing-lovely.

I hate the cold and love lighthouses, Mary, so you know which of your last 2 posts is my favourite. This is beautiful 🙂 Hope you have a lovely and productive week.

3. Absolutely adore this. I love that you can’t tell which time period it’s from. If you told me this sketch was from the 1800s, I would believe you.

4. That’s a beauty, Mary. The shading is remarkable.

5. There is a no time atmosphere here! And yes, Maine is a place I would like to visit…by now I just enjoy seeing it through your eyes!
    robert

6. Timelesslady says:

Wow-oh-wow! You create amazing art Mary. Just beautiful. You Inspire me. 🙂

Great effect here Mary with the textured paper and your technique with all those different HB’s ! I love the thought of a kneaded eraser in getting a result , I think I know what you mean but I have mind flashes of those hole making rubbings out I can still achieve without too much trouble when IT’S ALL GONE TERRIBLY WRONG 😀
    Hope you have a lovely bright weekend !

Always enjoy reading your comments Poppy and sometimes laugh right out loud. This was fun and glad you noticed the effects – just having the best time playing around with all these tools to draw with.
      Hope you’ve had a wonderful weekend and best to you for an awesome week ahead.

8. Love the use of this textured yellow paper it gives an antique vibe which fits perfectly with the subject. Love your light houses and this one is no exception, wonderfully executed Mary.
    Have a most wonderful weekend!

Hi Eva, thank you very much for your feedback, love “antique vibe.” The piece is a card and was real happy with how it turned out – from a card to something that will work well within a frame. Hope you are well and that you had a beautiful weekend. Have a wonderful week ahead.

9. I love lighthouses, and this one is gorgeous, Mary. Well done. I really like the top. 🙂

10. Marick says:

I like the grit/texture. Makes it feel stormier, somehow.

11. I love lighthouses Mary. I can see how you were drawn to the texture. Nice work!~Rita

12. Alok Singhal says:

Hi Mary, i would suggest you to post larger pictures…they would look life-size and awesome!

13. Just beautiful, your work continues to amaze, surprise and provide such joy. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for your lovely comment and compliment, means a lot. I’ve tried to get to your blog a number of times, but when I click onto your blog name, the system is not recognizing the proper link to your blog.

14. Ditto – fab details and texture, Mary – I have an affinity for lighthouses

15. Jet Eliot says:

Your lighthouse is beautiful, Mary — and I enjoyed hearing some of your artistry secrets. 🙂

16. lulu says:

I know this place!!

17. Resa says:

Mary, I quite like the textured effect! It makes me think of street art painted on textured walls. I love the cracks & pits in the brick or the roughness of stucco, which is akin to your textured card.
    Well done!!!!!!

Hi Resa, thank you and glad the textures appeal to you. I can see why they would remind you of the many surfaces street art is painted on. This was a neat little scene to draw out.

18. love the details in the lighthouse, Mary.

19. Leya says:

Beautiful on this textured paper.

20. honoria plum says:

Something about this picture really captured my attention. It’s beautifully done. Thanks for sharing it.

21. Nicodemas says:

A wonderful drawing!

22. I love the atmosphere in this drawing….beautiful as ever:)

23. Love the details, Mary – well done! 🙂

24. Ah, Mary…how well I know that lighthouse! And you have rendered it perfectly. I love the negative drawing and especially the texture of the paper coming through. (It’s quite visible in the enlarged version.) Thank you!

So glad Cynthia and thank you very much. I look at a print we have of Andrew Wyatt’s Pemaquid and, well his work is so inspiring, I decided to give the lighthouse a try. Was a little worried about using such textured paper, but the graphite handled it well and it compliments the scene. Always enjoy your artistic view and feedback, thank you for always being present.

I love the dark, non-reflective sky in contrast with the white lighthouse and fence. So beautifully done, Mary! 🙂

Lovely! It looks great on the cream paper! A lucky person will be the owner of this awesome card!

27. Kev says:

I love lighthouses. We have quite a few on the Yorkshire coastline. 🙂

28. I love lighthouses, Mary! You did a fantastic job…bravo!

29. One of the loveliest Maine lighthouses. Nice job, Mary.