Misty Wheat Field, graphite drawing

Abandoned fields are a thing of beauty, I can’t tell you how many I’ve driven by and never given them a moments notice, that is until now ~

Misty Wheat Field, a graphite drawing (8×10) was done on Strathmore Bristol Vellum paper using 2H, HB, B, 2B, 3B graphite pencils and B/2B Carbon pencils.  Tools used for producing some technical effects were:  cotton ball, tortilium, kneaded eraser and Tombow mono eraser.  One thing I love about graphite is its reflective qualities, combined with carbon you get a whole different look to a drawing from any number of different angles.  The back-light glancing over the field is what captured my attention and with the distance barely there, my attention was centered on the foreground grasses was a lot of fun working out as a drawing.

Thanks for checking in ~ Click onto the image for a larger view of the details.

Misty Wheat Field

PLEASE DON’T TAKE MY IMAGES – MY ART IS COPYRIGHTED.

PLEASE DON’T COPY OR USE THE IMAGE WITHOUT RECEIVING MY PERMISSION FIRST – SEE DISCLOSURE ON THE RIGHT PANEL.

This entry was posted in Drawings and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to Misty Wheat Field, graphite drawing

1. pizzuti says:

This is really beautiful Mary. How big is it? I really love your black and whites.

Hi Pizzuti, nice to see you. Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and comments, I’ve really enjoyed working in B&W – its been a time to really explore values and tones w/o color to distract me. This drawing is 8×10.

• pizzuti says:

Oh I thought it was so much bigger, I think it would be great 40 x 30. Do a big one 🙂

Wow, I’ve not done a drawing that big (or painting for that matter). But will give it serious consideration – you are so nice. Thanks for the suggestion and compliment.

2. Lots of movement here!

3. mamie says:

So cool! I love the perspective and the way the wheat almost looks like fire. Beautiful!!

So great to see you again Mamie – I hope you are well. Thanks so much and thoroughly enjoyed your artistic read on the wheat field.

4. What a light and airy feeling…. it has your signature delicate touch! Well done! ~Rita

5. Beautiful painting! well done 🙂

6. Jet Eliot says:

Another wonderful drawing, Mary. And I really appreciate knowing the details, I find it very interesting, almost like being there with you–like the reflective qualities of graphite when combined with carbon. 🙂

Thank you Jet and glad you enjoyed learning about the process. Sometimes I wonder if it becomes to boring, but the process is what fascinates and intrigues me about creating with graphite. Have a lovely week ~

7. A beautiful rendering Mary… I love it!

8. jvandervlugt says:

Very subtle Mary. Very very nice.

9. Delicate and subtle… perfect composition, Mary… 🙂

10. Sabiscuit says:

Subtle and sublime are two words that came to mind when I first saw this. I saw a tinge of green in it but that’s because I coloured it in my imagination (or it’s this horrible cold I’ve got). The delicate blades of grass, each one moving in their own way, gave a moving picture impression. I loved this, Mary. xo

Thank you Sabiscuit – it’s a real compliment when a viewer can see within a drawing and lets their eyes fill in what could have so easily been added with a swish of color. Wonderful reaction and description – a joy to read. Thanks again ~

11. Whiskers of nature leaning in a soft breeze. Gentle,graceful and very ethereal. Perfect composition, it draws my eyes straight onto what appears to be an endless, infinite field.
    The beautiful details of the foreground gives away a glimpse of what lies behind that mist and leaves my imagination running with that into the invisible infinity. Has a somewhat magical, mysterious and dreamy feel with a hint of nostalgia, beautifully executed!

Happy Spring Eva! Thanks very much – your opening, “Whiskers of nature leaning in a soft breeze,” read so beautifully, great descriptive of the foreground. Thank you for looking into the scene and seeing the magic of the invisible reality of what lies out there in the field. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your reaction to the scene. Thank you my friend – hope you have a lovely day!

12. That’s beautiful, Mary!
    Happy Spring Equinox!!!!! 🌺🌻🌹🌷🌼🌸 🙂

13. exiledprospero says:

Like a vortex.

14. Superb…Once again you have captured a moment in time – so beautifully. I hope you enjoy a lovely Easter week….Janet:)

Hello Janet, thank you for your special encouragement! It was a wonderful scene to develop – perfect for the soft atmosphere I was going for. Happy Spring to you and hope you have a wonderful Easter as well.

15. debiriley says:

Mary I love it, and how your hand/heart works with the Graphite is just beautiful! those soft edges, hints and subtleties are outstanding 🙂 cheers, Debi

16. anna77dennis says:

Lovely detail on the grasses in the foreground with the dreamy light behind which is very effective!

17. A very fine piece, Mary.

18. Almost gossamer and with subtle energy
    Another fine work, Miss Mary

Much love

uncle john

Loved your thoughts and description Uncle John, especially the “subtle energy” – perfect words. Thank you so much, have a wonderful day!

19. Wonderful drawing Mary. I love how you did the mist.

20. aFrankAngle says:

On first look I was picturing wind-swept grasses on a sand dune – but on closer review – I don’t think that’s the case. Well done Mary … wonderful detail.

Simple, graceful,and beautiful! t gives such a peaceful feeling. Thank you, Mary for sharing. 🙂

Thank you Amy – I really enjoyed reading your description of the scene. Peaceful, especially – it’s what I’m looking to develop in these drawings.

22. elisa ruland says:

I recently tried to capture the sunlight dancing on a field of wheat grass. It always looks so magical that I had to try. Your drawing captures their movement, which seems constant even when the wind isn’t blowing. Beautiful piece, Mary!

Wonderful Elisa and I can only imagine the images you got with your lens – spectacular no doubt. Thank you so much I loved reading your thoughts on this piece.

23. So beautiful and delicate, Mary. 🙂

24. A haunting drawing, Mary…well done!

25. Susan Feniak says:

Wonderful! I want to step into the mist and see what is beyond. The field beckons. Ethereal.

26. Leya says:

I feel like the child I once was, waking up to the misty morning, and even before breakfast walking along the silent field…

27. Resa says:

I love this. I grew up in the prairies, and there’s nothing like a pretty field. Well done Mary! I can see the colors.

28. Very nice work, it makes me feel nostalgic!

29. cmartzloff says:

Beautiful. It feels like a big wind was blowing on the field where these grasses were. I also experience an ethereal quality.

Thank you so much Catherine – love your reaction to the scene, to feel the drawing is an amazing compliment. Hope you are well and having a wonderful Sunday.

30. swo8 says:

It has an etherial feel to it.
    Leslie