Connecticut Fall Leaf, oil pastel

Autumn is a second spring where every leaf is a flower ~ Albert Camus

When we arrived at our hotel in Connecticut I opened the car door and there on the ground was this most gorgeous leaf – right there at my feet.  Well I took that as a sign that we were in for a show stopping trip and what a show it was ~

CT Fall Leaf an oil pastel (4.5 x 7) was painted on yellow ochre Mi-Tientes paper.  The vibrancy of the leaf was developed by using pure OP colors and not blending, and figured that the dark background (black, magenta, virdian and indigo) would set off the brilliance of the leaf.  Albert Camus was so right, it really was a second Spring of dazzling color.

Thanks for checking in ~

CT Fall Leaf

Please don’t take my images – my art is copyrighted.

Please don’t copy or use the image without receiving my permission first – see disclosure on the right panel.

This entry was posted in About Oil Pastels, OPs New Paintings and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

88 Responses to Connecticut Fall Leaf, oil pastel

1. SamuelTho says:

Very nice piece there ^^ ..I do similar sizes at 5.5 x 8″ inch and also use similar colors, Sennelier oil pastels.. I like the dark tone on this one ^^

Nice to meet you Samuel – thank you for your nice comment! Always great to meet someone who enjoys working with oil pastels!

2. dsaquarelles says:

very vivid. Marvellous colors, bright and dark : beautiful contrast.

3. So strong, so beautiful…
    robert

4. What a beautiful oil pastel, Mary, the colour glows like fire against the darkness – such a simple design, and yet with such depth, and rendered with so much skill, not gesture out of place.

Thanks so much Cara for your generous comment and compliment on my Autumn Leaf. In my minds-eye I could see the leaf with a very dark background, this background gave it the darkness it needed to glow and brilliance I was looking for. It means a lot that you would mention this aspect of the work, thank you.

What a beautiful glow you have achieved Mary.

6. Timelesslady says:

Gorgeous leaf Mary! I love the chewed side you so beautifully captured. I collect chewed leaves with random holes, press them, and then use them as templates when I need to create random markings. Whenever I try to make random splotches in my watercolors, they always end up looking regular. Using chewed leaves as a template makes for a perfect, imperfect marking. Does that make sense??? Anyway, I’ll blog on it one day…in the meantime…again, love the leaf.

Thank you so much for your generous thoughts and comment – and yes, it does make sense to use a chewed leaf as a template. This leaf was a wonderful find that was perfect for the brilliance of oil pastels. Hope you are having a wonderful Fall season.

7. Beautiful, Mary! Loved the quote and the fall is indeed a wonder of Mother Nature… 🙂

8. Cecilia says:

I totally like the quote and your picture just confirms it. Wonderful! Thanks!

9. Heartafire says:

Stunning art Mary. I have missed you!

10. Paul Beech says:

Gosh, Mary, your Fall leaf is truly gorgeous, the wistful spirit of the season embodied, a leaf to hug in the heart. And I wonder at the tree it came from, one where chipmunks and blue jays might have felt at home maybe?

I love the Camus quote and funnily enough have recently written a short poem ending “Their autumn lives are summer bright”. My meaning was much the same.

My very best to you from North Wales,

Paul

Thank you Paul – there is something special that comes with the Fall season. Perhaps the colors, the smells or as you mentioned the little critters scurrying around preparing for the winter. It was a real treat for us to go back East and experience the colors of Fall this year. I really enjoyed your response to the painting.

11. Leya says:

Love your leaf, Mary – Camus was quite right…

12. This may be my favourite of all your works I’ve seen on here, Mary! Just warm and delicious!

What a wonderful compliment A! Thank you for your response to the painting. Hope you are well – thanks for stopping by it is great to see you.

13. I of July says:

You never disappoint. Those sorta subtle deep blues behind the black are just perfect. A wonderful piece of work. You have the hand of a goddess Mme Mary.

14. Aglow and stunning, Mary

15. Ah, Mary, I love the warmth of this painting! 🙂

16. Rebecca says:

Gosh, this fiery leaf is wonderful, and so radiant against its background! The touch of green at the end of its stem, echoed at the tip of the leaf, is such a small, perfect detail too. (I’d love to see this pic in the flesh so I could better see the background colours.) 😉

Thanks so much Rebecca, love your read on this and that you saw those little details like that small speck of green! Glad you enjoyed the painting ~

17. tedgiffin says:

This is my favorite of all time

18. debiriley says:

so stunning in its vibrancy, the impact and power. wow!

19. Ogee says:

Do dramatic in its simplicity. You have captured both the color and the luminance perfectly.

20. Resa says:

WoW! A simple fall leaf is your second spring. I see it.

Thanks Resa – who would have thought of Fall as the second Spring? Spot-on, wouldn’t you say? Glad you enjoyed the painting was neat piece to work out.

21. Marsha says:

You might want to post a link to these leaf articles on Verena Cave’s photo challenge https://festivalofleaves.wordpress.com/ Your pictures are lovely. 🙂 Check out my page of other photo challenges, too. http://wp.me/P7tP3I-gS

22. Oh Mary, I really LOVE this piece. Such a beautiful vibrant color and is perfect with the black background. It has a wonderful transparency to it and to achieve that it requires skills which you posses. I totally love the quote and agree to it 100%, autumn is one of my favorite seasons and right now over here is just super beautiful to go out and about. Hope that you filling well and progressing on your recovery! Sending you much love and hugs!

Hi Eva, thank you so much – isn’t Fall the most awesome season? The beauty of what nature provides before all goes cold and quiet is spectacular. I’m hoping you are truly enjoying yourself and taking in the serene beauty in your walks. I’m feeling great and am at 100% – thank you for asking. Love from TX my friend!

23. Christy B says:

It’s lovely! Perfect art for fall, Mary 🙂

24. ventisqueras says:

sembra una bellissima farfalla…non mi stupirei se cominciasse a volare

25. I love that this is on a black background. The colours are so vibrant.

Camus is right – every leaf is a flower, and your piece is proof of that. 🙂

26. Don says:

Wonderful, Mary.

What a dazzler, Mary. Looking back it seems you’ve been having fun. Hope you’re fully fit again?

28. Lovely hues! It captures autumn perfectly.

29. cmartzloff says:

This is gorgeous Mary! Thank you for the quote. I’ve never read this one and it’s given me a new way to consider the beauty of fall.

30. Exquisite and exactly how I imagined it when I read that sentence!

31. GORGEOUS! (I’ve sent you an email about it.)

32. Alok Singhal says:

Beautiful. I was on a long fall-trip last week and had an amazing time.

33. Susan Feniak says:

Fantastic Mary! Gorgeous colors. You are inspired.

34. Wow! You did a beautiful job, Mary!

35. I love the quote and I absolutely love this image…it has huge impact in a very abstract/expressive way. Beautifully rendered….thank you Mary. Clearly you have been inspired…Janet:)