River Hideaway – charcoal/graphite drawing

“We look for a place that quiets time letting our senses become sharpened to our surroundings – hearing trees rustle, smelling grassy-weeds and seeing a slow-moving river.  We become absorbed in the moment .  .  . ” by Mary

River Hideaway, a charcoal and graphite drawing (9×12) was created on Strathmore Bristol Vellum.  Nearly the entire scene was done in charcoal with the exception of the river, there graphite was used for its reflective qualities.  Charcoal was the choice medium giving the land depth and an overall softness to the atmosphere.

This Spanish scene was photographed by a pmp photographer and artist Juan Sandin.  The first time I saw the image I immediately thought of Ernest Hemingway – I could see him writing one of his powerful novels tucked-away in this quiet place.

Have a wonderful weekend and thank you for visiting ~

This entry was posted in Drawings and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to River Hideaway – charcoal/graphite drawing

1. A beautiful peaceful painting Mary. ☺

Your beautiful drawing also gives viewers a wonderful space to imagine… That is what a beautiful paintings and drawings do.

3. We certainly do become absorbed in the moment when seeing a slow-moving river – and in seeing this beautiful drawing, too. A person could hang out on the banks of that river all day.

4. Pingback: River Hideaway – Oil Pastels by Mary | Amazing Fine Art

Such a lovely, gentle scene, Mary 🙂
    Wishing you a happy Easter!

6. It has a peaceful, dreamy effect. Beautifully done, Mary…

7. neihtn2012 says:

I agree with Susan above. Your drawing inspires peaceful, relaxing feelings.

8. Your charcoals are brilliant, my dear friend, just brilliant! Hope you’re having a lovely Sunday.

Hi Marina, so sorry that I am late in responding – can’t tell you how much I appreciate your generous words. means the world to me. I hope you have a wonderful week ~

9. cmartzloff says:

Beautiful Mary! There’s something mystical about your rendering. I sense the peace and quiet. Love it!

10. Has a lovely dreamy quality. Well done, Mary!! 😊

11. Sweet and inviting, and it also gave me a bit of a chuckle.. Casa Loca is about that close to the river right now – at least at high tide! In the rainy season, that doesn’t allow a lot of comfortt o be so close to the current!

No kidding – wow Lisa, sure hope you are keeping a safe distance from the edge. Hope the rains and current don’t wreck too much damage to the riverside. Thank you so much, hope you have a wonderful weekend.

• Safe? How’s four or five hours away via car?! I’m based in the cloud forest until th e rainy season is over. I’ll be in Jama in a week’s time but stay at a friend’s hostal and just visit Casa Loca when there… Thanks, may your weekend go well!

That’s right I forgot – your time in cloud forest has been very valuable for those folks. Have a safe trip back to Jama and best wishes for Casa Loca.

12. What a beautiful drawing, Mary. I really miss seeing your work.

13. Gorgeous piece, Mary. I agree, it’s the perfect writer’s retreat. Well done!

14. mihrank says:

Art is accusation, expression, passion. Art is a fight to the finish between black charcoal and white paper.

15. The charcoal graphite gives that serene sense. Nicely done

16. Beautiful drawing very serene 🌹

17. Christy B says:

Now I’m imagining Hemingway getting his inspiration.. Keep creating magic with your posts, Mary ❤ Happy weekend!

18. Resa says:

Serene, yet spectacular, I’d like to sit a spell there!

Definitely a place that “quiets time.” Lovely Mary.

20. Gorgeous trees, love the angle too

21. Heartafire says:

Such a lovely painting Mary…wonderful artwork!

22. Susan Feniak says:

So serene. I feel relaxed just looking at this scene Mary.