The Tree – a graphite drawing

“Trees are the real drama queens – they standout, demand attention and if one forgets, the mightiest will sway their limbs and shake their leaves putting on the grandest of all performances.” by Mary

The Tree, a graphite drawing (10×8) done on Strathmore Bristol Vellum paper using loose graphite powder and graphite pencils (2H, HB, B, and 4B) as the medium, and tortilium, Mono Zero Tombow’s, kneaded erasers and a camel hair brush to bring a softer atmosphere to the scene.   You can see how the tree controls the scene, nothing else competes for your attention – this is how it spoke to me.

Hope you have a wonderful week ahead, perhaps I can finally catch up with everyone’s blog posts.  Thank you for visiting ~ click onto the image for a larger view.

Please don’t take my images – my art is copyrighted.

Please don’t copy or use the image without receiving my permission first – see disclosure on the right panel.

This entry was posted in Drawings. Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to The Tree – a graphite drawing

1. Love this and the special little detail in the fence. I too love trees as they are the main subject of many of my photographs. Last year I had a solo exhibit, ‘Tremendous Trees’. As I’ve commented before … I love your style

2. Paul Beech says:

You sure know how to work the graphite, Mary!

I can almost hear the prairie wind that has shaped your tree and given it song, almost savour the scent of your Texas summer; can imagine, indeed, leaning on your overgrown gate and writing a poem.

My very best from North Wales,

Paul

3. ladyfi says:

What a gorgeous sketch!

4. Pingback: The Tree – a graphite drawing — Oil Pastels by Mary | Amazing Fine Art

5. lorriebowden says:

I just marvel at your creativity, Mary! Hope all is super with you…many blessings dear one ❤

Thank you so much Lorrie for your lovely feedback – all is well and appreciate that you took time to visit and comment. Hope you have a great summer!

6. Beautiful tree…standing straight and tall…:-)

7. Christy B says:

Mary, the tree looks so real, like a photo! You have such talent 🙂 ❤

Hi Christy, thank you so much for your feedback on this drawing – so glad you enjoyed the piece! Hope you have a lovely summer!

What a wonderful tree, Mary! I could just see myself walking past it, through that field. 🙂 🙂

9. LOVE
    I just adore trees and the sea. Have a wonderful week.

10. Anonymous says:

Indeed this tree commands the scene….it is beautiful and captures the ‘life’ within it. We must never take trees for granted….not only are they filled with a life force, but they also enhance our human lives immeasurably. I always enjoy seeing your wonderful work…Janet 🙂

Hi Janet, I love your wonderful and thoughtful response to the drawing and why trees are so important to our society. They really are a life force that that gives us so much, besides how they beautify the world around us. I’m so glad that you had a chance to visit my friend ~

11. Lovely. There is this one road out in western Kansas that we drive to visit my brother-in-law. It is about 25 or 26 miles. As you drive along, there are almost zero trees. So, when we see one someone exclaims – hey, there’s a tree. Living in NH where the state if 80%+ treed, it always seems kind of strange. This beautiful singular tree reminds me of the difference.

Very cool response Judy – when in Texas we miss the trees and when in New England we miss the open skies! I really enjoyed reading your comment – thank you so much!!

12. Resa says:

What a beauty! I just love blowing up the pictures. This one was a le gasp as it grew.

13. This one has subtle movement; one sees the horizontal and vertical lines, and then there’s a very strong ‘tangent’ that runs from bottom left to upper right. Good work!

Alas, almost all of the wordpress ‘new post’ emails are having a party somewhere in cyberspace! I checked the reader, and there you are, but that was nice, as I opened a second ‘reader’ link to your site, and there were other posts I’ve missed!

I’m working on a painting of a tree right now, and though we are on extra-good terms, it’s one that demands acute attention.

Thanks so much Lisa, love how you analyzed the tree – the strong tangent is what caught my attention to draw it. I really enjoyed working the graphite on this one. Thank you for taking time to visit and comment, always appreciate your generous feedback. I’m looking forward to seeing your tree, hoping you post – knowing your exceptional eye to detail, it will be a beauty no doubt my friend.

14. Susan Feniak says:

Superb! Your tree is a scene stealer.

15. Rebecca says:

Ah, it’s glorious! 🙂

16. Elisa Ruland says:

I was looking forward to catching up with everyone, and your post didn’t disappoint. Lovely drawing, Mary!

Good to see you Elisa, I also have been trying to catch-up and haven’t seen your latest post – I’m making my way there though. Thank you so much for your visiting and leaving such a nice comment. Hope you have a lovely summer and capture a few magical scenes with your lens.

17. cmartzloff says:

Outstanding! I really love the way you captured it Mary. It’s magical! The little fence detail adds a lot to the composition too.

Thanks Catherine for your response to the drawing. I always get hung up on whether to draw more realistically with trees and leaves, or develop them with a bit of an impressionist loose style – this particular scene lent itself really well to an impressionist feel. Thank you for always being so encouraging and supportive.

18. This one is a show stopper – tree and picture! I never tire of drawing trees too

19. This is so beautiful, Mary. It reminds me of the tree from the opening credits of Little House on the Prairie. 🙂

Thank you so much Jill – glad you enjoyed the scene! You know you are right about the Little House on the Prairie – there was that tree always prominently featured on the show.

20. I love trees. I think they are completely overlooked and undervalued in our countryside. I should take more photos of them… 🙂

I really appreciate your response and thoughts – trees are magnificent beasts, each with their own personality. I’ll bet you guys find some very interesting ones on all your walks and hikes Mike. Thank you ~

21. Sublime, sublime. sublime, Mary! And I’m seeing even more detail now that the right eye is done.