Bowl of Plums – acrylic painting

A couple of months into painting with acrylics ~ I love this medium.  I’ve really enjoyed learning the nuances and technical mechanics.  While only at the beginning of building my knowledge base and comfort level, acrylics is becoming a paint of choice.

Bowl of Plums, an acrylic painting (8×10) was painted on a thickly coated gessoed hardboard using primarily liquitex acrylic paints.  A wonderful photographer on pmp did a great series of plums and one photo caught my attention, so I used it to construct and base my painting off of.  I love still life’s and this one was perfect to work up in acrylics – offering rich and deeply colored plums against a substantial glass bowl.

Thanks for checking in ~ click onto the image to view in a larger size.

Please don’t take my images – my art is copyrighted.

Please don’t copy or use the image without receiving my permission first – see disclosure on the right panel.

This entry was posted in Acrylic Paintings and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Bowl of Plums – acrylic painting

1. Dina says:

Gosh, this is truly wonderful, Mary! Such a beauty.

So beautifully painted, Mary. I love the rich color of the apples.
    Glad you are back! 🙂

3. That’s so great that you’re enjoying using acrylics. For the past few days I’ve been using watercolors – and after so many acrylics, at times I did things that might ‘bite ‘ – like brushing in dark details as a ‘map’ then realizing they’d move when the lighter colors were worked ‘over’ the dark.. no no, lisa – this is watercolor, not acrylic!
    Watercolors can sometimes look ‘dead’ where the acrylics sizzle!
    Great work!

Always love your narrative, weaving our worlds together. Good to see you Lisa, hope you are well. I’ll bet your watercolor works are gorgeous. Thank you my friend, always so generous with your words.

4. Leya says:

This is just so beautiful, Mary – so alive. The colours of Rembrandt and the old Dutch painters – if I remember it right. The glow and the richness of it – there is a clear taste, I can feel it.

5. Paul Beech says:

Gosh, Mary, those plums – how wickedly they smile! The stout wooden shelf and dark background lend your composition a period flavour. How I’d like to reach through time and space to snatch that lone plum from the shelf – Yum!

Great to see you back – take care,

Paul

Good to see you Paul. Thank you for your generous reaction to the painting – I really enjoyed your reaction. Hope you both are well and your writings. Take care –

6. Antonio says:

a fantastic painting….congratulations!
    best regards from Italy

7. Rebecca says:

Totally juicy Mary – just lovely! 🙂

8. cmartzloff says:

Beautiful Mary! It has a rich and very classic feel.

9. Christina Pavlova says:

Wow! This looks wonderful! I’m a beginner artist and I’m trying to get the hang of painting with acrylics. Hope to be able to achieve such beautiful results some day 🙂

Hi Christina, thanks very much for your kind feedback. I’m a true beginner with acrylics, one day I think I’m catching on and the next it’s two steps back and figuring out what’s not working. For me that is the fun of this medium, I’ve no doubt that you’ll find your way and achieve what you are after. Thanks – I do appreciate it.

This is so rich and delicious, Mary. I love the colour of plums and you have captured it perfectly. The glass just adds to the glow and gleam of the fruit. The painting really shows how much you are enjoying acrylics.

Wonderful to see you Gallivanta – thank you for your thoughts on read on the painting! I’ve really enjoyed my time with the medium, constant exploration and figuring out the lengths that the medium will go.

11. Good to see you back. The glass is particularly good in this

Thanks Derrick – loved working the glass in this piece. Good to be back, hope you and Jackie are well and looking forward to seeing your Fall garden photographs.

12. Novus Lectio says:

It’s soooo beautiful !
    Long time no see 😉
    Love it

This is just an amazing still life. I love everything about it!

I’ve missed you Dorann! Thanks so much and so happy that you enjoyed this painting! It was a bit intimating to work through, but happy for the experience of it. Hope you are well ~

14. Ogee says:

Acrylics – as tricky as watercolor, but in a completely different way. You produced such richness of color here. Something I would expect from oils. Bravo!

Happy to see you again Audrey! Thanks for your kind comment and thoughts. I’ve not painted with watercolor, but have enjoyed this whole experience of working with such a wet (and fast drying) medium. Thanks again ~

15. seaangel4444 says:

This is sublime, Mary! I love your work! Cher xo

16. Susan Feniak says:

Lovely! Very pleased to see you here Mary. Missed you and your beautiful art.

Once again I’m late to the party, but happy to see you all again! Thanks my friend for being so gracious – looking forward to seeing what you have been up too.

17. neihtn2012 says:

After the yellow apple, this one is another wonderful creation of yours. The colors are deep and rich, and the bowl stands out but also helps frame those apples very well.

Great to see you Hien and thank you so much for your read on the painting. The bowl was like putting the icing on a cake (fun to work out) and the fruit, well those plums came alive with the richness of acrylics. Was a great piece to work on, it taught me a lot. Thanks again and hope you are well – looking forward to seeing your latest photography.

18. Beautiful. I can only guess what your family is hoping they will find under the Christmas tree – a painting. 🙂

I just happened to see your comment Judy, you made me smile. Thanks so much, you are always make my day and I’m very grateful. Hope you are well.

19. swo8 says:

Very nice, Mary.
    Leslie

20. Oh my…this is magnificent, Mary! Thank you so much for sharing it with us…we’ve been deprived of your talent. xo

Oh Jill, great to see you and thank you so much for your generous comment. I’m glad you enjoyed this painting, it was great fun experimenting. Hope you are well, I’ve been thinking about you. I’m late in replying to you, I owe you an email. Trying to get back into the swing of things. Thanks again ~

21. Shirley says:

LOVE it Mary!!!

22. Resa says:

Mary, Bowl of Plums is glorious! You are one talented artist! I like acrylics too, but that’s because I can mix them with fabric medium and paint on my Art Gowns. I just made some autumn leaves using bronze and copper acrylics. I’d love to paint that glass effect you’re so great at. Again, Bowl of Plums is glorious!

Thanks so much Resa – great to hear from you! You are so kind and know how to make my day – the learning is going slow at times, but never frustrating because I can see the possibilities and to be honest it’s very relaxing for me to paint with acrylics (sort of like with drawing in graphite). I’m going over to see your latest creation and let me just say I doesn’t surprise me at all that acrylics is a big part of your creativity!