Tender Peony – acrylic painting

Peonies have an ongoing love affair with ants, did you know that?  The attraction is in the opening bud of a Peony where it drips with nectar – so stand back because it’s the feast that ants wait for.  It’s no wonder there is caution about these gorgeous flowers – bringing pretty white and pink bouquets of Peonies into your home can easily invite the neighborhood ant farm too ~  who knew?

Tender Peony, an acrylic painting (8×6) was completed on canvas paper using mainly Golden and Liquitex acrylic brand paints.  I tried out some new brushes by Princeton Select (chisel blender and a flat shader) – that are soft synthetic bristles, the jury is still out on the lasting abilities.  The painting was started with an underpainting that barely tinted the support – cerulean blue mixed with a hint of light burnt umber.  A perfect backdrop for allowing the tender white peony to take center stage.

Thanks for visiting ~ click onto the image for a larger view.

Please don’t take my images – my art is copyrighted.  Please don’t copy or use the image without receiving my permission first – see disclosure on the right panel.

My first painting since I was injured some months back – to say the least I’m very happy to be painting again.  I sustained an injury several months ago to the nerves in my neck/shoulder that went straight down the arm and hand.  A long healing process, but never-the-less I’m back at it.

This entry was posted in Acrylic Paintings and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Tender Peony – acrylic painting

1. Ogee says:

A favorite that does not grow here, sadly. The ants have very good taste. So glad you are feeling better!

Too bad, because your Garden for Goldens would be a perfect place for these beauties. Thank you for your kind words – really enjoyed hearing from you. Hope to visit your blog soon.

Sorry to hear you injury, Mary. Hope you are recovery well.
    Beautiful painting of this lovely peony. 🙂

3. Sorry to know about your injury, nice you are now back with us 🙂 Love the lightness in your painting, the light and the colours are special!
    robert

Thank you Robert for your kind words. Thanks for noticing the light and lightness in the painting, they were elements I was trying to achieve – very much appreciated!!

4. So good to see you back. You have captured the light, ethereal, quality of the petals

5. So great to see you back, Mary. Love the delicate peony which your artistry has captured so perfectly. I was looking for a couple of ants but they seem to have gone AWOL. 😅

6. Sorry to hear about your nerve pain, but I’m glad you’re healing and feeling better. The peony is gorgeous. 🙂

Hi Judy, thank you and for your kind words. I am much better these days and am happy being able to operate much as before. I’m glad you enjoyed the painting – couldn’t let Spring go by without a few floral paintings!

7. Gorgeous, Mary! I so happy to hear you’re painting once again. Just don’t over do it. xo

Great to see you Jill and thank you for always being present. Your encouragement is spurs me on – just getting started on my next piece. Looking forward to reading about your newest book and writing adventures!

Beautiful! You have not lost the surreal talent that results in gorgeous works of art. I am so happy to see you back and at it again!

Thank you so much Dorann for your wonderful words of encouragement and compliment – I really appreciate it. I’m glad to be back again – an interesting journey for sure. Wondering how your new dog is doing and looking forward to seeing your latest news.

9. So glad to see you painting again. I am sorry you were injured, and wish you continued healing. This painting is beautiful!

Great to see you again. Thank you for visiting and being so generous in your comments – always appreciated. Glad you enjoyed the painting.

Wonderful to see you Cindy – thank you for your kind word, it means a lot. I’ll bet you have some gorgeous photographs of the wildflowers that took over the CA landscape this Spring. Looking forward to seeing your latest posts.

10. Jane Lurie says:

A gorgeous painting of a peony, Mary, and I’m so glad you are healed and back to your art. Nerve pain and damage is certainly difficult.

Thank you so much Jane and wonderful to see you again. I can’t tell you how happy I am to be able to paint again – I just have to pace myself and remember to take breaks. Looking forward to seeing your latest photographs of my favorite city. Thank you again ~

11. Esp appreciate and study skill displayed with transparent glass vessel with water and you have done it well.

Great to see you again Carl, thank you so much for your feedback and assessment on the glass – means a lot that you would study the piece and take note.

12. Jet Eliot says:

Mary, this painting captures the lusciousness of the peony so perfectly. Nerve damage is really tricky, so I am very glad you came out of ready and able to paint again.

Thank you so much Jet – I really enjoyed your description. It’s been a tough road honestly. Only residual effect is my thumb pad that buzzes 100% of the time like it’s trying to wake up. Hopefully the nerves will fully wake up in this one last area. Looking forward to your latest posts ~

13. neihtn2012 says:

Glad you are painting again after your injury, and this one shows that you have lost none of your skills and talent. It’s a lovely painting!

Thank you so much Hien, I always appreciate your gracious comments. It was quite a road back, to be honest I wasn’t sure I’d be painting again. But here we are – I’m really happy that I can enjoy the process of creating again. Looking forward to seeing your latest photography.

14. Simply beautiful. Welcome back. 🙂